• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

upnp control point plugin for moode?

Hi. I'd like to use the native moode web UI as an upnp control point. This is so I can direct music from an upnp server to the moode upnp renderer. Does anyone know if this is possible? From reading online, it seems moode is only a upnp renderer, and requires separate software for the upnp controller. Does anyone of a third-party plug which would enable this functionality?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi. I'd like to use the native moode web UI as an upnp control point. This is so I can direct music from an upnp server to the moode upnp renderer. Does anyone know if this is possible? From reading online, it seems moode is only a upnp renderer, and requires separate software for the upnp controller. Does anyone of a third-party plug which would enable this functionality?
I used to use mconnect on my iPhone and I think BubbleUPNP for Android does the same. Not sure though if this is exactly what you want. (Usually Moode runs on a RPi which is connected to a DAC. mconnect let’s you direct the RPi (Moode) to the music server eg Tidal or Quobuz or your own server and stream the data to the DAC).

See screenshot below from mconnect linked to Quobuz

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
OP
M
It is similar, but not quite I don't think.

As you say, moode normally runs on an RPi connected to a DAC. This will be my situation once I obtain a RPi. Then I was planning to install BubbleUPnP server on the same RPi. Then I log into Qobuz via the UPnP server on RPi. This sorts the Qobuz UPnP source and renderer (they end up on the same device). The remaining part is the UPnP controller, and this is the part is not so clear to me. There are various apps which will work for sure. What I was hoping to do is avoid using a dedicated UPnP controller app, but use the native moode web UI. After reading around the internet I see conflicting articles (see below), but generally it seems like the answer is no.

moode as upnp controller and renderer:

moode as upnp renderer only:

Are you logging into Qobuz directly from mconnect on your phone? In that case, the mconnect app will be acting as both the upnp media server and controller.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is similar, but not quite I don't think.

As you say, moode normally runs on an RPi connected to a DAC. This will be my situation once I obtain a RPi. Then I was planning to install BubbleUPnP on the same RPi. Then I log into Qobuz via the UPnP server on RPi. This sorts the Qobuz UPnP source and renderer (they end up on the same device). The remaining part is the UPnP controller, and this is the part is not so clear to me. There are various apps which will work for sure. What I was hoping to do is avoid using a dedicated UPnP controller app, but use the native moode web UI. After reading around the internet I see conflicting articles (see below), but generally it seems like the answer is no.

moode as upnp controller and renderer:

moode as upnp renderer only:

Are you logging into Qobuz directly from mconnect on your phone? In that case, the mconnect app will be acting as both the upnp media server and controller.

I simply turn on UPnP within the Moode web page and it's ready to work.
I am using MacBook Pro running Audirvana.
Within Audirvana I simply set the speaker icon to select the RPI4 running Moode.
The RPI4 is connected via USB to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
Moode receives the music from Audirvana via UPnP and sends it to the ADI-2 DAC to be played. Simple.

MacBook Pro: Audirvana: UPnP: RPI4 wifi (Moode): USB: ADI-2 DAC: Purifi Amp: Revel F328Be speakers
Sounds great!

OP
M
I simply turn on UPnP within the Moode web page and it's ready to work.
I am using MacBook Pro running Audirvana.
Within Audirvana I simply set the speaker icon to select the RPI4 running Moode.
The RPI4 is connected via USB to my RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
Moode receives the music from Audirvana via UPnP and sends it to the ADI-2 DAC to be played. Simple.

MacBook Pro: Audirvana: UPnP: RPI4 wifi (Moode): USB: ADI-2 DAC: Purifi Amp: Revel F328Be speakers
Sounds great!
Thanks. That'a a nice a setup. I was hoping to cut out the laptop part, and just use a mobile as a controller. I think I will just have to experiment.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
Has anyone measured performance of the RPI4 doing streaming via standard moOde interface vs. using moOde as DLNA renderer? Any difference especially with DSD files?

Top Bottom