• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

types of cast iron cookware

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not so much ruining the pan, it's the risk of iron poisoning if you regularly consume acidic stews cooked in cast iron. Prolonged cooking time + acid = a lot of iron. I do make quick pan sauces in my cast iron pan though, it's my favourite pan for frying fish. After I fry the fish, I make a pan sauce with a squeeze of lemon. No problem there.
I have really always wondered about this. How is iron getting into the food if there's an intact layer of seasoning between the food and the pan?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have really always wondered about this. How is iron getting into the food if there's an intact layer of seasoning between the food and the pan?
I've always heard we don't get enough iron generally and iron cookware can help but haven't heard it's excessive....but am interested....

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

moonlight rainbow dream

I believe on the microscopic level, the seasoning is like a lattice. It's not completely impermeable. This is why a well-seasoned piece can still rust if you leave it soaking in water.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
What oil are people using to season? I can't stand for vegetable oils or anything that will give off a rancid smell over time. I've been using coconut oil, because it is on hand, but is there better still?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
What oil are people using to season? I can't stand for vegetable oils or anything that will give off a rancid smell over time. I've been using coconut oil, because it is on hand, but is there better still?
I use grape seed oil. It has a fairly high smoke point and does not add any flavoring to the seasoning process.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Fwiw, I have never found a stand-alone act of seasoning to be useful. The results of trying various seasoning recipes made no noticeable difference to me.

Imo seasoning is analogous to the seasoning of a European colonist in the buggy atmosphere of the post-Columbian Americas. After some seasons, with good fortune and/or god's good grace and by following the rules, the colonist/pan is still with us, is doing the job, and has acquired some protection. (He or she has survived likely several fevers in the interim.) Eventually the result is, we hope and pray, a well-seasoned traveler or cook pot/pan respectivly. The less hoped for but very real alternative is grim.

Iiuc, this is the etymological origin of this meaning of to season. Idk about that of the other culinary meaning.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor

This is what you need:

s-l1600.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist ;) I use rice bran oil. It is odorless and my pans don't have a funny odor.

JaccoW

Another +1 for rice bran oil. Works great in stainless steel pans as well.

Top Bottom