• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turn table cable length

r042wal

Forum Donor
I decided to jump back into vinyl for nostalgic reasons. I am just interested in the 45rpm boxed sets similar to what MoFi puts out. My turn table did not integrate into my setup so I had to place it 10 ft away. I had to use RCA couplers too. I did not hook up the GND to my preamp and I got terrible 60Hz hum out oof my sub, even with my rig turned off. The sub is always on.

I am going to rearrange and put my TT on top of my stand and hook directly to my MM input on my preamp and connect the ground. Have not done yet but looking for some feedback. Should I be taking contact cleaner to the head shell where it connects to the tone arm? Thanks.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Since cable capacitance forms part of the cartridge load, a phono preamp for MM needs to be close to the turntable itself (typical cable length being little over 2'), so you do not have any leeway there. The connection from phonopre out to the rest of your system is much less critical and can be substantially longer without issue.

If you did not hook up the tonearm ground, a hum problem is expected. Touching the cable the either of the RCA grounds should make it go away.

If all you have is a preamp with integrated phono stage, well, then there's no way around placing the turntable sufficiently close to that.
Should I be taking contact cleaner to the head shell where it connects to the tone arm?
Depends on how long it hasn't received any attention. Certainly not a bad idea if it's been a few decades.

OP
r042wal

r042wal

Forum Donor
The RCA on the TT seem to be integrated so if they are 1 meter, I am hoping this will be OK. If I place the TT on top of my stand, all the interconnects will reach. Every you mentioned makes sense, especially the GND. Thanks. Rob

Top Bottom