• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube headphone out to amp

Cori0312

Hi, quick question.
I connected my Woo Audio WA6SE (tube headphone amp) via headphone jack to Aux on my Emotiva pre-amp in hopes of getting a tube amp sound without having to buy a tube amp specifically made to drive speakers.
My question- does the SS pre-amp "sterilize/change" the tube sound, or does it just amplify what it receives?
It sounds pretty good to me but I'm not an expert.

Thanks

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
All good audio amplifiers go a very good job of amplifying "cleanly", including tube amplifiers.

Some tube amplifiers have more distortion and they tend to soft-clip when over-driven whereas solid state amps tend to hard-clip when over-driven. But that mostly applies to power amps. There is no one tube-sound... If a tube amp has audible distortion it will sound different from another amp with different distortion or no audible distortion.

And your headphone amp may sound different with and without a headphone load, especially if the output stage is tubes. Or it may also be "clean".

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My question- does the SS pre-amp "sterilize/change" the tube sound, or does it just amplify what it receives?

It's basic job is to just amplify what it gets, keeping any distortion or noise added by itself to a minimum. Generally speaking.

It sounds pretty good to me but I'm not an expert.

You are the world's foremost expert on what you like. Don't forget that part.

Top Bottom