• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Treble Clef Speakers?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not likely to fare well on the Klippel: It will be one case, where the measurements gear find the speaker " too ugly to measure " :p

:facepalm:

Peace.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From DKK 626,000 per pair of TCA Model-M active speakers, excl. local VAT, Import Duty and Shipping.

That's approximately $92,000 US. Excuding shipping! Talk about cheap.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I do find worthy of thought is that they felt they should discuss the Klippel test at all.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Making a speaker in the shape of a treble clef seems really silly to me, like making a stove in the shape of a flame or a frying pan or something. Especially ironic since the founder keeps saying "form follows function", ... I am not sure if that idea is meant to be taken so literally.

No accounting for taste, but to me it's like a €75K speaker for a kid's room.

Also I am not sure if they actually used Klippel gear to design the speaker, or just measured it once. In the interview he mentions visiting them. My guess is you can see all kinds of wacky diffraction on the Klippel scan, even if it has otherwise good characteristics.

Cutting through the mountains of subjective descriptions and backstory, I guess the "ripol" style dipole woofer is supposed to excite room modes less. I think I saw something on here about dipole bass having a different interaction with the room - anyone know more about this? Seems possibly legit.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1704388924439.png

1704389124472.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cutting through the mountains of subjective descriptions and backstory, I guess the "ripol" style dipole woofer is supposed to excite room modes less. I think I saw something on here about dipole bass having a different interaction with the room - anyone know more about this? Seems possibly legit.
One thing that sells is good bass.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How did this thing manage to qualify for a patent?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did this thing manage to qualify for a patent?
I guess nobody patented a speaker housing in which the woofers are facing each other and also enclosed in a hemisphere before.

If they tried to sue anybody for anything other than a very close copy of the design, I think it wouldn't fly, ultimately.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I guess nobody patented a speaker housing in which the woofers are facing each other and also enclosed in a hemisphere before.
Celestion?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Celestion?
Maybe, but this patent seems really narrow - I think it would need to basically be ripole sub, in hemispherical halves, on a stand where the stand is the same width as the slot.

I have personal experience with this. I got a patent on what amounts to the modern "do not disturb mode" on smartphones, but the patent specified that it was to be activated with a physical button on a docking station. Guess what, the lawyer told me I wouldn't be able to collect from Apple or Google with that patent unless they put out a docking station with that specific feature.

So I think this patent is really just highly specific to this particular design... IANAL though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only nasty, but disgusting, ugly, vile and offensive to look at.
One can use these as behind the screen speakers.
Behind the dumpster. They aren't getting in the house.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Way too strange looking for me.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Gaia inspired done the ugly (need a stronger word but my english are poor) way.
Without the dipole too.

Way better if they put it in a straight stick!

Top Bottom