• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Totaldac is back! This time with a ~$20k effects processor disguised as an amp...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There are 6 types of quarks known. Which doesn't seem all that nuanced to me. Electrons, protons, and neutrons have 3 quarks in them. There are more in Electrons, protons, and neutrons than just quarks.

NOTE:me not physicist.

nor am I -- but I do have, albeit somewhat inexplicably, a proof copy of Murray Gell-Mann's The Quark and the Jaguar.

I don't understand why it isn't called TotalAmp.
Heretic.

:cool:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno about all y'all jaspers, but they had me at quark-like nuances.

Can one even have more than one nuance -- especially if quarks are involved?

:cool:

Reminded me of Murray Gell-Mann. Just realized he died last year. Met him once and had an interesting dinner conversation. The man seemed to have infinite knowledge on just about every subject known to man. It was fun and intimidating as heck ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Quark-Jaguar-Adventures-Simple-Complex/dp/0805072535

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
nor am I -- but I do have, albeit somewhat inexplicably, a proof copy of Murray Gell-Mann's The Quark and the Jaguar.

Well maybe there is some quantum entanglement going on here. I don't have a proof copy, but I have an early copy that had the striking 3D cover. I think only the first 500 copies had that cover.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well maybe there is some quantum entanglement going on here. I don't have a proof copy, but I have an early copy that had the striking 3D cover. I think only the first 500 copies had that cover.
I believe we've managed to tie a subset of this thread into a nice Celtic knot! :)

1588039976058.png

1588040131322.png

Attachments

• 1588039942634.png
    1588039942634.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 90

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are 6 types of quarks known. Which doesn't seem all that nuanced to me. Electrons, protons, and neutrons have 3 quarks in them. There are more in Electrons, protons, and neutrons than just quarks.

NOTE:me not physicist.

Neutrons and Protons are made of 3 quarks, but not electrons. It would be impossible considering that the mass of the electron is more than 1000 times smallers than of a proton.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Neutrons and Protons are made of 3 quarks, but not electrons. It would be impossible considering that the mass of the electron is more than 1000 times smallers than of a proton.
Right you are, made a mistake including the electron. I'll fix it in the other post. Thanks for pointing it out.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the upgrade path?
MSB, Mola-Mola, and a few others that cost more.

Check out the Trinity line. Be sure to drill into a product and check pricing. Once you are ready to move beyond an econo DAC like the TotalDAc this is the upgrade for you. You can always re-purpose your TotalDac as part of an office system for background music.

https://trinity-ed.de/

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I did not expect much. Not for only 19,000 Euros (ex-VAT).
The French audio industry has some solid companies, and a few that are better at marketing than Engineering.
French Engineering can be first rate. I retired from a French company in other industry. Much of the equipment worked incredibly well. Evaluating and repair lead to insights. Sometimes to the point where it was a surprise that it worked period. The clever techniques incorporated in design were hard to follow. Competitors were unable to reverse engineer much of the equipment even 10 years later.
Design was by committee, and KISS was never a goal.
The pictures and provided specs are not indicative of SOTA performance. The picture of the vacuum tubes looks like one of my diy builds.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Lol, i love how they claim pure, unadultered sound, then lists:

THD %: 0.3% – 1W/1KHz, 4% – 70W/1KHz
Frequency bandwidth: 10Hz(-2dB)-60KHz( -3dB)
S/N Ratio: 79dB

And weights 85kg. You get more kg than dB.
I think it's called hiding in plain sight

Top Bottom