• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for a DAC/decoder

gersones

Hi. I still don't know anything about technical specs as I'm just getting to know the audio equipment world.

I don't know if my requirements are too specific but I couldn't find out if what I'm looking for is a DAC or just an audio receiver/streamer.
Here is the specifications:

1. (a must) a device to connect the TV's S/PDIF output into the device which will "route" to an amplifier+speakers, when I'm watching movies/music shows.
2. (a must) a device that will allow me to connect my phone via BT LDAC @990kbps when I wish to stream music from my phone's apps.
3. (a must) a device that has a remote control.
4. (optional) a device that allows me to connect it via USB (indifferent to me if via type A/C) or Thunderbolt/USB4 to a laptop to act as DAC.

I already saw Topping D70 Pro Sabre (what's the different that justifies the price difference compared to Topping D70 Pro Octo?) and the SMSL SU-10.
What is there that are even better than these two even if at higher prices ("brand heavier name")?

Or are these "too much" for the requirements?

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate.

Thanks
Regards

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
An SMSL D-6s will do what you're looking for and will sound exactly the same as the D70 Pro Sabre/Octo, SMSL SU-10, or any even more expensive DAC that aims for transparency.

Spending more on DACs will get you ever so slightly better distortion and noise numbers, plus sometimes a fancy OLED display or IIS input, but the sound will stay 100% the same, because even the D-6s' distortion and noise is drastically lower than what humans could ever hope to perceive.

IMO, the only DACs that are worth spending the extra dollars on are those with built-in DSP capabilities. Think RME ADI-2 DAC or miniDSP Flex.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm assuming your amp doesn't already have an optical input and therefore dac?

OP
G

gersones

An SMSL D-6s will do what you're looking for and will sound exactly the same as the D70 Pro Sabre/Octo, SMSL SU-10, or any even more expensive DAC that aims for transparency.

Spending more on DACs will get you ever so slightly better distortion and noise numbers, plus sometimes a fancy OLED display or IIS input, but the sound will stay 100% the same, because even the D-6s' distortion and noise is drastically lower than what humans could ever hope to perceive.

IMO, the only DACs that are worth spending the extra dollars on are those with built-in DSP capabilities. Think RME ADI-2 DAC or miniDSP Flex.
Thanks, @staticV3 !

OP
G

gersones

Hi.
MySMSL D-6s arrived today!
Here's a noob question: what does PCM Phase (FL values: 1-9) does?
It might be a fresh release since it isn't in the smsl website yet (the D-6 w/o the "s" is).
Thanks again for the suggestion, @staticV3

OP
G

gersones

I may know nothing about the technical stuff but I can feel the difference while streaming music from my phone via LDAC 990kbps and via SBC (a BT dongle receiver that I was using before).
Plus, now with no delay between the things I watch and the audio thanks to optical input :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's a noob question: what does PCM Phase (FL values: 1-9) does?
That should be the user configurable DPLL system.

Lower values will result in less jitter at the DAC's output, at the expense of Coax and Toslink inputs that are less tolerant of poor signal quality.

If you hear stutter, then you can increase this value and the output should become stable again.

OP
G

gersones

That should be the user configurable DPLL system.

Lower values will result in less jitter at the DAC's output, at the expense of Coax and Toslink inputs that are less tolerant of poor signal quality.

If you hear stutter, then you can increase this value and the output should become stable again.
I see. Thanks!!!

Top Bottom