• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 14.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 240 82.2%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does it mean people can’t tune the EQ if don’t have Windows PC?
Correct. For now, Topping Tune is only available for Windows.

Wait. The PEQ is not implemented in the driver for the Windows PC but somewhere in the box, presumably the XMOS? If so, why not apply it to S/PDIF in, too? In order to use it, one would need to buy an additional S/PDIF to USB device, which seems superfluous.

Something like this, though you'd have to find a USB-A female to USB-C male adapter: https://www.amazon.de/Cubilux-Optis...hnittstelle-Stereo-Audio-Signal/dp/B0BQQLFQ59
Seems logical, until you realize that you cannot connect two USB slave devices to each other via USB. The Cubilux adapter simply cannot communicate with the D50 III. It won't work.

A USB connection is always between a USB Host (Computer) and USB Slave. The Cubilux and D50III are both USB Slave devices.

capslock

Ok, then one would need a Pi with a digital in hat and USB host out.

Yes, the DM7, besides home theater, only makes sense if you are willing to run the DSP (XO or room correction) in the host. That's why a DM7 II with standalone DSP capability would be great. Mind you, such a project exists, the Aurora DSP. Unfortunately, owing to the AD DSP chip and the software, the kind of EQs you can do are limited, e.g. one high and low shelving per channel only.

Labjr

Major Contributor
CNC unibody metal design - Aluminum

IMO, these companies use the term "CNC" to describe castings. Generally CNC is used to decribe something that's machined from billet.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for another great review.

I was initially put off by some of the constraints with EQ; USB only, no channel differentiation. Then I gave myself a good talking to - it's only a couple of hundred $ and it's whistle-clean. Pretty outstanding really.

DLS79

Forum Donor
IMO, these companies use the term "CNC" to describe castings. Generally CNC is used to decribe something that's machined from billet.

I need to add the standard caveat with regards to the term billet.

While I agrees it's most likely injection molded, they will still have to cnc machine it to added threaded holes, holes for components to pass through, etc.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I need to add the standard caveat with regards to the term billet.

While I agrees it's most likely injection molded, they will still have to cnc machine it to added threaded holes, holes for components to pass through, etc.

Not that I would expect a billet case in a $200 product but using the term in their marketing is a deliberate stretch. 3D printing is technically CNC.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Not that I would expect a billet case in a $200 product but using the term in their marketing is a deliberate stretch. 3D printing is technically CNC.

Topping doesn't have their own product page up for the D50 iii yet, but the only thing the resellers are claiming is.

The D50 III's engineering marvel is reflected in its CNC unibody construction—a single piece of aluminum precision-machined to perfection.

To be honest, that is factually correct (ignoring the adverbs).

DLS79

Forum Donor
Their website says "...precision machining from solid aluminum bricks..."

I'd be surprised if that's true.

Again is you forgive any kind of bad translation form a non-technical person, a casting is a solid.

Sonic-Wall

The next generation DACs with 10-band PEQ that works for all inputs, were already shown by Topping at the CanJam NYC.
The D90 III Discrete is based on a new discrete 1-bit DAC module using a positive and negative 16-element DAC for each channel.

Another more advanced DAC is the D900 which also comes with a 10-Band PEQ, but adds a much nicer display with a spectrum analyzer and other VU styles.
The D900 is based on the same DSM module but using a positive and negative 32-element DAC for each channel.

Both DACs will be probably shown at the Highend show in Munich.
Are these DACs the new RME ADI-2 DAC killer?

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0983.jpeg
    IMG_0983.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 61

Sokel

Master Contributor
Of course: With equalization on - the frequency switches from 1,00000 kHz to 0,99999 kHz

- just kidding!

Run and buy!

index.php
Kidding aside,that's the real picture:

1713818421135.png

And we may want to see it filtering lower as some really informed insights stated earlier in this thread.

Top Bottom