• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 82.4%

• Total voters

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on earlier posts in the thread, the computing for the PEQ filters is in cores in the USB chip, and presumably there is no practical way to route other external sources into the USB chip. So as undesirable as PEQ-only-on-USB is, at least there is an obvious HW constraint that forced this limitation.
Yes, but all these give me more the impression of a "marketing gimmick" than a really useful addition which is also not clearly communicated and might lead to disappointed buyers.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, but all these give me more the impression of a "marketing gimmick" than a really useful addition which is also not clearly communicated and might lead to disappointed buyers.

It's listed in all the marketing materials by Apos and the like!

for example.
apos-audio-topping-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-topping-d50-iii-desktop-dac-40021151449324_1200x1463.jpg

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
this is not necessarily true, when you get down to IC level programming you can run into issues that aren't common today in general computing today, i.e. lack of memory.
How is memory saved with the same filter coefficients on both channels?

The same amount of data memory is necessary regardless of the PEQ filter coefficients: there is a separate data pipeline for the L and R channels (as there must be, since they contain different data unless its a mono mix). Similarly, the filter must be independently computed on each channel since they are independent data streams.

Hence the computational load (ie processor cycles) is the same, whether the PEQ coefficients are a/b/c or x/y/z. Forcing L and R to be a/b/c is no fewer compute cycles than L being a/b/c and R being x/y/z.

FWIW, I have near zero experience with "general computing" programming, but I do have a DSP background and spent a few hours in the late 80's and early 90's writing assembly language code on DSPs.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's listed in all the marketing materials by Apos and the like!
As a small * remark but anyway my main gripe is rather its limitations which make it more a "gimmick" than a really useful feature, at least for me.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two sets, of coefficients, require twice as much memory as one set.
For typical room correction usage usually with up to 5 filters per channel someone get good results.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Two sets, of coefficients, require twice as much memory as one set.
Its unlikely the coefficients are stored in memory during processing. They would typically be in register locations with direct access to the MAC unit.

But even if they *did* share coefficient storage in memory, we're talking about 10's of bytes. Not GB. Not MB. Not even KB. Tiny fractions of KB. No chips are that memory bound these days.

My best guess is that the PEQ implementation is a dedicated semi-hardwired unit in the chip, so Topping has little/no choice in the matter. Or, conceivably, if a PEQ implementation was register-limited and designed to sustain 192khz sample rates for a single channel, then if you used interleaved L/R data pipelines at 96khz each through that same filter, you could support two channels, but only if they used the same coefficients. In that case, its still a little sad, since a few more registers in the implementation (to support A/B coefficients) would be insignificant to die area or clock speed.

Whatever, I didn't mean to take anyone down a tangent here, I was just saying its kinda sad to lose independent L/R filters when doing so would require insignificant silicon/speed trade-offs IF it were part of the original chip design objective.

Last edited:

DLS79

Forum Donor
Whatever, I didn't mean to take anyone down a tangent here, I was just saying its kinda sad to lose independent L/R filters when doing so would require insignificant silicon/speed trade-offs IF it were part of the original chip design objective.

It doesn't bother me at all, if anything it helps others understand the limitations of this DAC.

If this helps peoples curiosity.

Memory - Each xCORE Tile integrates a bank of SRAM for instructions and data, and a block of one-time programmable (OTP) memory that can be configured for system wide security features. A memory buffer can be used to implement software defined memory.

10.1 SRAM Each xCORE Tile integrates a single 512KB SRAM bank for both instructions and data. All internal memory is 256 bits wide, and instructions are either 16-bit or 32-bit. Byte (8-bit), half-word (16-bit), word (32-bit), double word (64-bit) and vector (256-bit) accesses are supported and are executed within one tile clock cycle.

Sokel

Master Contributor
As I was the first to suggest that the EQ function seems to be in XMOS chip (it was a guess,no solid data) please take it with a grain of salt.
It can very well be somewhere else.
My guess was because of the cost,USB only limitation,etc.
Maybe we should make sure is there.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
As I was the first to suggest that the EQ function seems to be in XMOS chip (it was a guess,no solid data) please take it with a grain of salt.
It can very well be somewhere else.
My guess was because of the cost,USB only limitation,etc.
Maybe we should make sure is there.
I think its an excellent guess. It explains a lot of things, and there doesn't seem to be a good competing hypothesis.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, do you know if this new device shares a similar behavior?
It is spec'ed to support up to 192 khz and indeed, I tested that and it works fine.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't understand -- for this product or others which have done the same -- why PEQ is implemented in a way that forces the same filter on L and R channels.
As I have mentioned, their target has been headphones and there, you apply EQ to both channels. This being a tiny DAC, has less application to home use in their mind.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is this “true” (uncorrelated) noise? If the D50-III digital filters are processed/calculated in the Xmos XU316 chip, what would create random noise?
My guess is that the much higher level of activity on the XMOS IC is causing noise/ground bounce to bleed into the output of the DAC. Having a DAC powered by a USB source may aggravate this. If I were less lazy, I would test it with a separate power supply to see if it goes away. :)

DLS79

Forum Donor
I think its an excellent guess. It explains a lot of things, and there doesn't seem to be a good competing hypothesis.

Short of a Topping developer/engineer getting himself fired for sharing company IP, I think the best we will be able to is hypothesize.

Edit: The documentation specifically states this.

1.1 Software

Devices are programmed using C, C++ or xC (C with multicore extensions). XMOS provides tested and proven software libraries, which allow you to quickly add interface and processor functionality such as USB, Voice, Ethernet, PWM, graphics driver, and audio EQ to your applications.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Imo, the only benefit of XLR over 1/4" TRS is that it is more easily found as a locking connector. It's worth noting locking connectors aren't very common in home audio gear.

An example of locking chassis mount connectors. You will destroy the cable before you can accidently get the connectors apart.
View attachment 364514

Regardless, you aren't going to find XLR support in something the size of a D50. The connector is almost the size of the chassis.

View attachment 364515
1713483064010.png

Topping d50 III has different dimension from d50s as shown from topping site https://www.toppingaudio.com/product-item/d50-iii . Looks like it is taller than d50s

Top Bottom