• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The quintessential 80s pop song?

Frank2

These songs sound even better when performed by stellar musicians:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Oh boy, those were the days. So many great 80s songs. I’m from 72 so my forming years were in the eighties. The decade where rap/hip-hop and house/techno exploded, lots of experiments with new styles and sounds.

Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Madonna, Spandau Ballet, U2, The Cure, Prince, etc. The Linn/808/909 drum machines. The TB-303 bass synth.

Watching the first few videos here actually brought tears to my eyes. A wonderful time when life was good and I still had my parents.

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
I'm not sure a vicious satire of rapacious 80s egocentric philistine consumerism counts as a quintessential example of same. But thanks all the same, I never saw that video. It made me think of the recent comedy film Sorry to Bother You in which a young black man puts on his white voice (actually he steals it from David Cross) and manners to get ahead at work. I listened to the whole of Thing Fish a couple of times again in the fall last year trying to get new perspectives on what's changed, what hasn't, and how?

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes

Frankie's two big hits, this and Relax, were a secret pleasure of mine at the time. Given my pretensions to higher musical arts it was infra dig to be known to enjoy HiNRG pop songs. I remember seeing huge piles of the album cut out for a quid at HMV or Virgin I passed. I can't allow people to find that in my collection!

OP
Multicore

Multicore

Major Contributor
Yes, of course Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax

1. Was this before or after the BBC ban of the song?

2. How did I forget how ugly John Peel was?

3. I shoulda read more before posting my own daily dose. But like I said above, FGTH were a guilty please for me. Those two hits sounded thrilling then and still do today.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well.
If this thread came out as a K-Tel compilation (or a Rhino remix/remaster with extensive liner notes and a photo booklet)... I'd buy it.
:)

May I also suggest:

(at least in my memory this was her first 'big hit')

(notice that I skipped Ms Lauper's "greatest hit" of the era ;) )

Top Bottom