• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The decline and fall of Reflex.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't figure out what half of you guys are even arguing about.

However, almost all lenses that came onto the market before 2012 cannot transfer the current resolutions. And the two major camera manufacturers in particular are still lagging behind.

I recently did a walk with a 2008-vintage 24-70mm f/2.8 on my 61MP A7RIVa and was pleasantly surprised to find it pin sharp down to 1:1. I've been very pleased by what resolution I can get out of even older Minolta full-frame lenses on this body.

The 61MP Sony chip has the same pixel pitch (~3.8µm) as a 16MP micro 4/3's sensor. The 20MP m43 sensors are even more demanding, with 3.3µm pitch. I've got plenty of (many fairly cheap) Olympus / Panasonic lenses that will easily resolve to 1:1.

I think what you guys are finding is that a lot of these older kit / travel zooms weren't very good to begin with.

Newman

Major Contributor
I recently did a walk with a 2008-vintage 24-70mm f/2.8 on my 61MP A7RIVa and was pleasantly surprised to find it pin sharp down to 1:1.
Try the corners at ƒ/2.8

Top Bottom