• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Bach thread

gilency

I grew up with Bach in my life and have listened to all his complete cantatas, organ works and keyboard works several times. One of the highlights of my life was to attend the Bach festival in Leipzig a few years ago. After a cantata, a sat next to his tomb at St Thomas for a couple of hours while people came by to pay their respects. It was a deeply emotional experience.

gilency

Switched-On_Bach_first_sleeve_%28seated_Bach%29.jpeg
WellTemperedSynthesizer.jpg
61norblyHhL._SX425_.jpg
I bought switched in Bach as a young 12 yr old. Loved it since.

gilency

Merry Christmas, everyone. Instead of all the usual boring and unimaginative Christmas Carols, why not listen to some Bach this year?

Suggestions for a playlist: Cantata BWV 129, "Gelobet sei der herr, mein Gott, mein Licht" ("Praise be to the Lord, my God, my Light"):

Feel free to add!
BWV 229

Barrelhouse Solly

A couple of unusual approaches:

They recorded the Art of the Fugue and the Goldberg Variations:

This album is his transcriptions for period instruments that this music isn't normally played on:

gilency

BWV 229 is the Motet "Komm Jesu, Komm". Was that meant as a correction, or a suggestion for what to listen to on Christmas?
Sorry. Not a correction. To me it sounds like Christmas music. One of my favorite motets. Although is a funeral motet

Robin L

Master Contributor
Got the old Heifetz recording of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin yesterday. I've owned it in the past and was bothered by his intonation - felt like he was sharping everything. Now I notice how he applies vibrato to everything. Also, there's the way he leans into everything with a "grabby" kind of sound. As I only paid $2 for the two CD set, I'm not all that bothered, but suspect that I'll be playing other versions instead.

I haven't heard an original instruments version I liked yet, so my gold standard for many years has been Arthur Grumiaux. He has clean intonation and few quirks. His recording is excessively reverberant but otherwise unobjectionable:

But now my favorite version on modern instruments is Hilary Hahn's. Seems to have the best technique of any of the players I've heard so far. I've owned the Sony issue of Sonata # 2 and the Partita and Sonata # 3 for many years, intend to get the Decca issue of the remainder soon:

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thank you @Robin L, I love these types of replies, and I think everyone should be doing the same. Explain why you think the recording is worth listening to. I own a copy of the Heifetz and the Hahn, but not the Grumiaux. My memory of the Heifetz is fading. Agree with your comments on the Hahn. Need to go listen to the Grumiaux.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Lara St. John is probably my favorite for Bach's solo pieces (with Grumiaux in close 2nd). The mic'ing of most of her recordings are just spot-on, and her counterpoint is engaging without being "shmaltzy" (a technical term).

I'd forgotten about this YouTube channel. It really adds to the experience. Lots of good stuff.

Top Bottom