• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 243 86.5%

• Total voters

imagidominc

Forum Donor
I've been looking for a new HP adapter, I'll give this one a try!

F1308

Major Contributor
Excuse my little question...

I plug this marvel to my Galaxy S20 Ultra (no 3.5mm audio) via its USB C port and then plug my Zero Blue or Zero Red to it and get top notch performance...?

Or is it meant for laptops and the likes...?

Thank you.

:):):):)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse my little question...

I plug this marvel to my Galaxy S20 Ultra (no 3.5mm audio) via its USB C port and then plug my Zero Blue or Zero Red to it and get top notch performance...?

Or is it meant for laptops and the likes...?

Thank you.

Yeah, should work with your phone, and/or a laptop. You will need an OTG cable for your S20.
It would drain your battery though! it drains 250mA while resting, and more when supplying power I reckon.
But then again, all dongles do.

F1308

Major Contributor
Yeah, should work with your phone, and/or a laptop. You will need an OTG cable for your S20.
It would drain your battery though! it drains 250mA while resting, and more when supplying power I reckon.
But then again, all dongles do.
Ordered.

Thank you.

Cannot stop buying ASR certified products...while the performance/price relationship approaches infinity.

OTG cable...? It comes with a cable (C to C)...and adaptor to A.

Don't tell me I need another cable...

If so I will use it with my 99$ eMachines laptop
currently running Winamp...:):):):) and controlled via Ampwifi.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered.

Thank you.

Cannot stop buying ASR certified products...while the performance/price relationship approaches infinity.

OTG cable...? It comes with a cable (C to C)...and adaptor to A.

Don't tell me I need another cable...

If so I will use it with my 99$ eMachines laptop
currently running Winamp...:):):):) and controlled via Ampwifi.

On your phone, invest a few dollars and get Neutron media player. Just about the best player to use with an external DAC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm
Power consumption and dc protection I think are the frontiers for dongle differentiation.
Sure. I will try to test for those.

MKreroo

This is like the 5K on a different path. If they ever make one with para EQ support and various DSP like the 5K I'm down for one

estuardo4

I own the Tanchjim Space and love it. Add a Truthear Zero Red and a 4.4 mm balanced cable and it is state of the art measurements in IEMs for less than 200 usd.

Below the measurements from L7 lab.

Thanks for testing, @amirm. Btw, did you by accident test it in low gain mode? Pressing the 2 volume buttons simultaneously switches between modes.

@amirm Did you read this post from @Matias ? I'm curious about this too.

Thank you for your answer.

elole

Problem with this dongle, it does not save volume on board, so it might not be fun with sensitive iems where you have to adjust the volume down like 30 steps or so every time you plug it in your phone. (assuming you keep phone digital volume at max)

raif71

Major Contributor
Crazy numbers coming from a dongle, and below $100 US. This really proves that the only frontier for innovation in DACs at this point is form factor and usability, and features beyond simply converting digital to analog.

As long as you believe the numbers, this thing has performance good enough to drive a $10K speaker system and be happy with the sound.

My one major beef, and this is common to MANY Chinese audio brands (almost all of them IMO), the name sounds goofy as hell to english speakers. The hell is a TANCH and what does it have to with my friend JIM? And why are they always all caps?

Note to any Chinese audio brand reading this: I have years of experience in consumer product branding, including in the audio space, and would be happy to consult on naming, western marketing localization, and brand positioning in general, for a moderate fee. :)
1688778234345.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Reactions: pdb

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since we long have reached the realm of inaudibility of noise and distortion even for dongles, output power is more what counts (at least to me). The Fiio KA3 ouputs 240mW at 32 Ohm, so about 100mW more than the Tanchjim Space, it is also cheaper. Sure, it has not the cool look and does not measure this stellar, but again, nothing that will be able to be heard. Lack of power is very much audible, though.

BeeKay

unpluggged

This is like the 5K on a different path.
Great joke. Let's see if they will still support it and release new features and fixes three years from now as Qudelix does.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Take that Roksan Attessa!

Yeah right.

The Roksan only has an inbuilt phono preamp, 2 line inputs, 4 digital inputs, LAN and twin USB connections, along with around 150wpc@4R. One you will lose behind the sofa or leave it on the train, the other will probably be still working happily in your loungeroom in 15 years. Totally a fair comparison. Not. ;)

Top Bottom