• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 243 86.5%

• Total voters

unpluggged

Why not? Don't you want to brag that you have something great, that you achieved something even better?
Because they "brag" about other, more important and useful things that stem from their own engineering efforts and IP, exactly as in the text you quote. The in-house SteadyClock, DSP features and FPGA-based operation (and TotalMix FX for their recording interfaces) is what matters and differentiates RME's products, not some inaudible THD+N figures. And speaking of that, they somehow did manage to achieve higher measured SINAD than specified by the DAC chip's datasheet (115 dB vs 113 dB). It's just that they understand that for a pro audio device, the priority is reliable operation and well-implemented useful features.

P.S. And I think that we better stop derailing this thread :rolleyes:

mash

Quite hard to find these cables (other than from Apple) that really work. In fact you tend for see a lot of misleading descriptions. Bought some, all failed. Of course, there may be some, I just gave up and went the Apple way.
The "Apple USB Camera Adapter" allows USB-A and Lightning (as a power source). Large, but useful.

Also you can connect desktop DACs and drive them with Apple Music (Hi-Res too) - does not work with AirPlay as we know.
You want to look for an lightning to USB "OTG" cable (not a power cable). I use one to connect my Hidiz Pro 9 to my iphone 13 Pro.

Hidiz makes one:

and you can also find them on Amazon:

I use this setup (iphone to OTG cable to Hidiz to Moondrop IEMs) quite a bit for airline and longer car travel. Sound is great, generally works well although the Hidiz clips/studders at high volume. The Hidiz does drain the phone battery very rapidly (as I would bet this one does) but I just use a magsafe battery on the back of my iphone to compensate. This allows me to use it on longer oversea flights without killing my phone battery.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also Truthear Shio is almost the same dongle, with 2 x CS43131 DAC chips, a little cheaper at 70 usd. Another great option and selling well. Although I prefer spending a little more for the nicer and smaller chassis of the Tanchjim Space.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It could be a problem with your lenovo laptop.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tanchjim mentions they make a lightning to USB cable that you can purchase separately in their copy on the Shenzhen Audio website:
0fb26fb633ec4e03133b04252beef8cd.jpg

This cable seems elusive... https://samaudiosg.com/products/🎶sg-tanchjim-data-otg-cable

Martin

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an “XtremPro” that works with volume control on Windows, but the volume is basically always at 100% on Linux until it reaches 0%.
Sorry, I didn't fully understand. You mean to say that the Operating System's own volume controls do work on Windows but not on Linux when using XtremPro - is that right?

milus

I'd love to see that one tested too!

as per their measurements, it seems a very good performer too

Tanchjim Space Lite

respice finem

Major Contributor
Sure, just search for a 4.4 mm balanced to 2 x XLR cable.

s-l1600.jpg

Yes indeed, also on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Headphone-Adapter-Silver-Plated/dp/B07WTQ9M9B

jcbenten

iPhone compatibility is always a pain in the ass.

I've had three lightning dongle DACs without a removable cable (DDhifi, Audirect, and some random amazon dongle) and all of them failed after some time.
I also tried my moondrop dawn (which uses the same DAC chip as the Tanchjim) with the Apple camera adapter but it draws too much power.

The only one that works flawlessly and has a removable cable is the battery powered Fiio BTR5 (with fiio usb c to lightning cable).
Agreed...I am eagerly awaiting the iPhone 15 with the USB port. Now just need USB Audio Player Pro to do an iOS app. Of course Apple might lock it down and we will have to wait for the Euro Courts to force the use of the standard USB protocol.

nnordstr

I just got a Hidzis S9 pro to supplement my original S9 and now this. I’m slowly building a bit of a collection of dongle dac/amps. Thanks again @amirm .

Barrelhouse Solly

I'd love to see that one tested too!
On sale at Amazon for $45.

dachada

If this almost disposable DAC is that good, I wonder how good will be their desktop unit costing almost $2K?

The design is close to the Numan glowing pyramid

Attachments

• numan.jpg
    numan.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 123

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfect for Truthears (either Zero or Red). Edge of the Art OTG sound, and no worries about losing them.

xnor

Haven't made any detailed comparisons but this looks like a more expensive Moondrop Dawn with slightly worse performance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't made any detailed comparisons but this looks like a more expensive Moondrop Dawn with slightly worse performance.
Ah, but the Dawn comes in either 3.5 or 4.4 variants. This is a twofer

xnor

Ah, but the Dawn comes in either 3.5 or 4.4 variants. This is a twofer
That's true, but most headphones are 3.5mm anyway, or if one does have 4.4mm and 3.5mm headphones then one can use an adapter.
Maybe the next version of Dawn will also add the second jack.

MacCali

Major Contributor
As a start up company I don’t want to destroy your business -Amir

:D:D:D

Top Bottom