• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sundara strange rattling sound

aristofane

Roughly 10 days ago I've bought a Sundara from amazon (it's still in the refound window) and I've noticed that when i gently tap or press in the lower part of the right cup i hear a strange "rattling" sound, it's very high pitch and metallic; it's very subtle and i dont think it affects the sound at all, but the left cup doesn't do that so i was wondering if it was "normal" and if it was worth a refound (maybe it can get worse or compromise the sound).

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's usually a screw that holds down a ground wire that's loose. I've had many Hifiman apart and they don't always put enough thread locker on it and using them causes it to come loose. I'd return it for a new one. Taking them apart is a hassle.

fragzone

For what it's worth. I've had the Sundara for 2.5 years and if I press the the right ear up towards my head with a small amount of force I get a very distinct rattle sound. Concerned me at first but it doesn't happen even when I shake my head hard, headphones have been sneaky durable although I baby them.

OP
aristofane

aristofane

For what it's worth. I've had the Sundara for 2.5 years and if I press the the right ear up towards my head with a small amount of force I get a very distinct rattle sound. Concerned me at first but it doesn't happen even when I shake my head hard, headphones have been sneaky durable although I baby them.
it's the exact same thing that my pair does

Moderate Dionysianism

it's the exact same thing that my pair does
To be clear: that's during playback? Does it correlate with frequency and /or volume of what you play (e.g. more prominent with bass notes)? Some HiFiman models have measurable and audible reasonances in the 200-300Hz region, it appears to be a design 'feature'. See Amir's reviews of the Arya and Ananda for example. I've also shared my experience with the EDXS.

Last edited:
OP
aristofane

aristofane

To be clear: that's during playback? Does it correlate with frequency and /or volume of what you play (e.g. more prominent with bass notes)? Some HiFiman models have measurable and audible reasonances in the 200-300Hz region, it appears to be a design 'feature'. See Amir's reviews of the Arya and Ananda for example. I've also shared my experience with the EDXS.
No it's not during playback, it's a physical thing in the earcup that moves and makes the sound, idk if it's the driver or a wire

Top Bottom