• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer in a TV cabinet

muad

Hey all,

I'm building a custom TV unit that's really wide for the kef r3 meta, Linton or bmr to sit on.

I was planning on putting two diy 12" sealed passive subs inside the far left and far right end end spaces of the cabinet. Each sub will have it's own dedicated space, with 4 inches space all around it. The back will be open, and the front cabinet doors will be made of rattan ( woven cane grass), which is very breathable. The two end cabinet spaces will also be open underneath so the subs will be sitting on floor under the cabinet and have no direct contact with the cabinet in any way.

Will this work? Free standing subs are out of the question.

kiwifi

If the back of the cabinet is open, I would recommend facing the sealed subs towards the back wall rather than front facing. This will provide better coupling of the subs to the room (aka room gain/loading). I assume that you'll be using some DSP to tame room modes.

Penelinfi

May need to consider the floor and of that will transfer vibration or not, as the parts touching the floor will be close.

OP
M

muad

If the back of the cabinet is open, I would recommend facing the sealed subs towards the back wall rather than front facing. This will provide better coupling of the subs to the room (aka room gain/loading). I assume that you'll be using some DSP to tame room modes.
I will be using dsp. Rear facing is definitely something I can do.

May need to consider the floor and of that will transfer vibration or not, as the parts touching the floor will be close.
It's laminate over concrete.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dr Toole hides two of his subs inside "cabinets" too (source).
toole_1.png

toole_2.png

OP
M

muad

Dr Toole hides two of his subs inside "cabinets" too (source).
View attachment 287605

View attachment 287606
You don't understand how much better your post made me feel. Thanks so much for pointing this out!

I was really worried I was gonna build this cabinet and buy standmount speakers, and regret this whole setup. Then not have enough floor space to go back to towers.

Reactions: NTK
Top Bottom