• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streaming (Spotify) always upconverted?

deprogrammed

Spotify is 320kps. Say you set your Windows sound to 48k. Is spotify upconverted to 48k?
I know there is no free lunch, just curious.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are likely conflating two different things. "Spotify is 320kbps" is the overall bitrate after lossy compression. Spotify uses a sampling rate of 44.1kHz (I believe) before those samples are then lossy compressed. If you set Windows to 48kHz sampling, it will then resample the audio decoded from the 320 kbps/44.1kHz sampled content.

mSpot

Say you set your Windows sound to 48k. Is spotify upconverted to 48k?
If you set a Windows audio device to 48K, Windows will send everything to that device in 48K (up or down converting if necessary). Except if an app supports exclusive mode (like Tidal and Qobuz), then the app can select the resolution.

OP
deprogrammed

deprogrammed

You are likely conflating two different things. "Spotify is 320kbps" is the overall bitrate after lossy compression. Spotify uses a sampling rate of 44.1kHz (I believe) before those samples are then lossy compressed. If you set Windows to 48kHz sampling, it will then resample the audio decoded from the 320 kbps/44.1kHz sampled content.
That makes sense. Thank You.

Top Bottom