• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange issue with my CamillaDSP gadget

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your USB host (any OS, not only linux) can detect other USB devices, it should detect your gadget. That's easy to check with any other USB device. Best to use the same working cable then - they trick me surprisingly often.

But your RPi must be configured correctly to become a USB device.

OP
S

stemag

SOLVED
Looking for a reason why the gadget worked for a long time before the problem manifested itself, I realised what made the difference: I mounted the RPi4 in a metal case, which redirects the USB-C connector to the rear panel via an adapter board. By removing the case and detaching the adapter board, the gadget device is recognised by the host and works just as well as before. Clearly, the adapter board only redirects the power supply pins, but not those for data transmission.
I really don't know how I didn't think of that before.
I apologise so much to all of you who devoted your time to support me. In any case, I have learnt a lot from your posts. I am very grateful to you.

OP
S

stemag

I verified that another well-known metal case also has the same problem I experienced (USB-C data pins non connected to the RPi board).
I recommend that those who want to use the RPi4's USB-C port in gadget mode avoid cases that redirect the USB-C connector to the rear panel.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologise so much to all of you who devoted your time to support me. In any case, I have learnt a lot from your posts. I am very grateful to you.
From my side, I didn't feel like my time wasted at all - I am glad it is resolved at the end, and we all learned something from it, so win win :)

Last edited:

phofman

@stenmag: Congrats to solving the issue. Please post the cases involved so that people can see. Thanks.

phofman

Thanks. IIUC, none of the boards populate the USB-C port of RPi4, only HDMIs. The USB-C data pins are not available through the RPi GPIO header. For the gadget mode the USB-C connector of RPi must be used.

Top Bottom