• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Squeezebox replacement - picore with which speakers?

OP
G

georgist

I upgraded all 4 Squeezebox Radios, already I can see a huge improvement.
I've only had them running a day so more time is required.
I'll enable the ARP watchdog and see how it goes, but first I'll let them run for a week and see what the vanilla behaviour is.
Huge improvement, thanks for making me aware of this, all.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
One other solution I just remembered that friend says works great, is to use one of those cheap mini-routers to provide the wireless. Then he uses radio's ethernet to mini router's ethernet port. He says it works flawlessly, as the mini router has modern wifi chip and updated drivers. One more (tiny) box + you need power from somewhere, but it's another option.

OP
G

georgist

One other solution I just remembered that friend says works great, is to use one of those cheap mini-routers to provide the wireless. Then he uses radio's ethernet to mini router's ethernet port. He says it works flawlessly, as the mini router has modern wifi chip and updated drivers. One more (tiny) box + you need power from somewhere, but it's another option.
Hi, yes I thought of that, but with four radios I didn't want to have another 4 devices, at that point I'd just choose a new tech solution.

OP
G

georgist

Hi, yes I thought of that, but with four radios I didn't want to have another 4 devices, at that point I'd just choose a new tech solution.
Wanted to follow up with this in case anyone else stumbles across the thread.
I upgraded to the latest squeezeboxserver, that allowed me to update to the latest firmware on all my radios.
That *completely* fixed the disconnect problem!
Very happy with the result.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
I upgraded to the latest squeezeboxserver, that allowed me to update to the latest firmware on all my radios.
With the way technology changes, it's amazing that this stuff still works after 20+ years. Good Deal!

Now on to the latest incarnation of LMS renamed Lyrion Music Server - maybe :)

rcstevensonaz

Obsolesces of Ethernet vs. WIFI... this is an unexpected benefit of buying audio devices that have an ethernet port, even when the audio device will be located somewhere that is only accessible via wireless.

Of course, as @Whoareyou noted, who would have expected to be still using their Squeezebox Classics twenty years down the road.

And as always, p*ss on Logitech for what they did to Slim Devices. Twenty years later there is still not an equivalent replacement to a Squeezebox Classic... an affordable network streamer with large readable screen for menu navigation and "now playing" display. (Still waiting to buy a Squeezebox Classic V4)

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
Obsolesces of Ethernet vs. WIFI... this is an unexpected benefit of buying audio devices that have an ethernet port, even when the audio device will be located somewhere that is only accessible via wireless.
Posts in the gigantic LMS forum thread mentioned the device code is copyright propietary and not available to the public. The radio's Wifi might have been properly fixed if the wireless card manufacturer had released the relevant code.

Last edited:

sweetsounds

Lucky you. Community Firmware didn't help in my case. There is a nasty 80MHz wide sender from a EV charging device, which looks like killing connections near my home.

But even here is a workaround using the Vonets VAP bridge for 25 bucks.

Lyrion reached 6000 installations within a week of release mid of April, 12000 players are running worldwide (and these are just the ones which have the analytics plug-in active).

A raspberry with a Topping/SMSL DAC gives hifi streamers a run for their money and doesn't depend on Nuvola/Reciva or a proprietary app.

Top Bottom