• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
somebodyelse would call it a smart phone
Certainly know that there are some smart items and intentions.
But localisation is almost all time off, except I'm lost in time and space.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Western civilization is fairly young in historical terms. It's evolving and will continue to evolve. But let me ask you, does a caveman have peace of mind and contentment, living a life of constant fear of becoming food, or of being killed by invisible bacteria or by a competing hominid looking to spread their genetic material?

What do you mean by "Western civilization"? Are you starting from the ancient Greeks (about 1600BC), the birth of Rome (800BC), or birth of Christ (0 AD), or the Renaissance (14th century), or industrial revolution (18th century). If you are comparing it to the ancient Egyptians (3000BC) and Chinese (also 3000BC) then yes, I suppose it is fairly young.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by "Western civilization"? Are you starting from the ancient Greeks (about 1600BC), the birth of Rome (800BC), or birth of Christ (0 AD), or the Renaissance (14th century), or industrial revolution (18th century). If you are comparing it to the ancient Egyptians (3000BC) and Chinese (also 3000BC) then yes, I suppose it is fairly young.
I didn't bring this up. But the comparison was to a caveman, so I figured the Western civilization is just a tiny blip on about a 2-3 million years of human evolution, regardless of when you start counting.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In today's Western civilization's accepted definition of 'happiness quotient'; we can't even tell if men or women are happier with life.
Why are Women both Sadder and Happier then Men?
Women around the world report being both more distressed and more satisfied with their lives than men.
WSJ's Emily Bobrow asks, what’s going on?[2024/03/22]

From <https://www.linkedin.com/posts/the-...and-happier-activity-7176993489262387200-U3yY>
[one reply] "Scientifically, estrogen makes women happier and women have a smaller amygdala. Scientifically, testosterone makes men angrier and men have a bigger amygdala. Amygdala is a part of our brains that processes anger."
And you are asking about Greeks @1600BeforeCalculator?:)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Civilized life is no less a "death march" but without the exhilaration of animal freedom. Western populations are so angst ridden they are literally eating themselves to death, medicating themselves into zombiehood, and dying unhappy and unfulfilled.
Does the western "civilized mind" even know peace and contentment?
Yes, but you have to be one of the outliers that doesn't care what others think.
For us (maybe not for others), it requires being able to be vegetarians (but we prefer having meat), the ability to raise our own vegetables (a yard with some raised beds so we don't have to stoop frequently), the ability to raise our own meats (thus some land on a deep water creek) & the ability to hunt & fish (also requiring some hunting land nearby). That means not being directly in a city, which, apparently, many people don't like. (those that seem to not know peace and contentment also seem to live within a few minutes of a hospital so that they can have their miserable (my opinion, as it would be a miserable existence for me) lives saved quickly.
I would rather die peaceful, happy and content.
But our location is not at all remote. Just 20 minutes away from a city. But, due to creeks & marshes, no one can build behind my place.
And the yards are at least 3/4 of an acre.
When I do move, the yards at that location will be at least 3 acres (which I consider 3 to 5 acres optimum).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I do move, the yards at that location will be at least 3 acres
Green Bank, West Virginia is a "WiFi Free" city and they would probably love to have you as a resident... as long as your audio system is not too loud.;)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First blackout for at least a week will bring us (or those that survive) back to the cave.
But the discussion is running out of topic.
I was on an island (Saipan) that was with out power for about 4 months in around 2015 (due to some terrible government planning for a typhoon with 200 + MPH winds.
Only one person died because of the storm (trying to ride it out in a condemned building is not the best of ideas).
We did not have to be without power that long (except that the government had decided that having 3 transformers & 10 telephone poles on hand was enough).
175 poles went down.
It took a while to even get more poles & transformers. And to then get enough trained people to start putting them up & running the wires.
But, it was OK. Ships that came in to deliver supplies brought coolers of ice, & cases of water and allowed people to come on board to wash clothes & people generally pulled together (possibly because that was about the only thing that we could do).

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Horse buggies is the best way to avoid spyware.
Sigh, alas no. It turns out those ID chips the vet recommended we put in the horses is collecting data and sending it to the big insurance companies. We took one horse back to the blacksmith due to a horseshoe failure, and he denied our warranty claim because he said he had data proving the horse exceeded the 25 mph limited engraved on the 'shoe. Even worse, the data was also passed on to the carriage builder who then told us the springs in the seats were no longer covered by their warranty. And the final blow was being shunned by the local Amish community and now they refuse to help us raise the new barn :(

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sigh, alas no. It turns out those ID chips the vet recommended we put in the horses is collecting data and sending it to the big insurance companies. We took one horse back to the blacksmith due to a horseshoe failure, and he denied our warranty claim because he said he had data proving the horse exceeded the 25 mph limited engraved on the 'shoe. Even worse, the data was also passed on to the carriage builder who then told us the springs in the seats were no longer covered by their warranty. And the final blow was being shunned by the local Amish community and now they refuse to help us raise the new barn :(
I guess the only choice remaining is a buggy without the horse, and you have to pull it yourself...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the only choice remaining is a buggy without the horse, and you have to pull it yourself...
Well. there are many hat say that we should work out more.
I guess that "round" is not one of the shapes in "you need to get into shape".

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well. there are many hat say that we should work out more.
I guess that "round" is not one of the shapes in "you need to get into shape".
Sigh* You know it; I know it...LoL. I'm really very much behind in my workout schedule. I'm mostly waiting for clear dry warmer weather so I can go walking with my music. Something where I can wear cargo shorts and a shell for a jacket will suffice very well. I want to avoid the downtown because there is far too much social disorder stuff there and so I'm looking to the river valley where things are more domestic although requiring a long distance to walk in and out before actually getting to the river paths. It'll come! In time. :D

Reactions: EJ3

007Shortz

Many of us renegades have mobile phones that are not smartphones.
I have no solution to spyware in the car. But I found something for smartphones (only for Android).

I was about to get a feature phone (dumb phone) for privacy. But I also needed a device for online banking and my broker. That's why rooting the phone was out of the question. Then I saw Louis Rossmann's video about GrapheneOS, bought a Pixel phone, installed GrapheneOS (open source project) with the web installer and lived happily and privately from then on. Apparently Edward Snowden also uses GrapheneOS. It's crazy that you have to buy a Google Pixel phone to get away from Google:

- Banking Applications Compatibility with GrapheneOS

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
and don't forget about 9/11 as another example of the US being bombed. Or the Aleutian islands during WWII (1942, as part of the battle of Midway, as I recall).
Oh yes. Majorly important points. Lots of history there for sure.

Reactions: EJ3

MRC01

Major Contributor
On this site, enter your car's VIN and they'll tell you about its privacy features.
I question its accuracy because when I entered the VIN for my 10 year old Mazda, it flagged "features" that mine does not have, but only the current models have.

Top Bottom