• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not specious if one believes in Nature. Humans survived over 2 million years free of industrial-political technology. Only in the last 15,000 years - a mere tick in human history- have the species been captured by the "big brain" idea of civilzation and all the burdens it has precipitated on humans. Because of this concept of civilization, we have polluted and poisoned our air, water, and food. We have made a hell on Earth for at least half the human population and nearly all of the animal population. We have devised a thousand tortures against the rest of Nature's species of plants and animals. And that is good because we wanted to have limits?

Every species has a unique way of existing, surviving and passing their genetic material forward. Is the field mouse, the giraffe, the blue whale unhappy, unfulfilled, throttled from their natural expression? Mankind was once just as free to live their life. Civilization is simply an idea being tried out. An idea to harness the masses for the benefits of the few - the one in 10 million born with massive excess of ambition. Freaks of Nature, actually. It is that idea that has bloomed to enslave Mankind.
I don't agree at all. I'm not going to refute each point. Homo Sapiens were never living as free as a field mouse. Even primates have a very socialized aspect and politics. Ocean mammals also have big brains and social structure. Including Orcas in and around the mediterranean having a fad of attacking sailboats by battering off the rudders. And yes blue whales can be unhappy. The rest of the BS about hell on earth for half the population does not align with facts.
Average life 200 years ago was terrible for 80% of the population vs 10 % today. And today with vastly more people that is an accomplishment.

Do you think when reptiles were the dominant form of large life they cared their lifestyle put a crimp on the little mammals around? At least people do care, and while it is easy to see how things are wrong because the information is more available, and there are real problems, in general things are better for people if not animals. If the population levels off and declines a bit as expected in 30 years or so we'll probably do more to help the animals too. Even then there are more animals that went extinct prior to humans than has done so since. Seems like a billion year trend. Life is better and trending that way. Don't be taken in by all the doomsayers. It is those people who want to use that as an excuse to take away more of your freedom than is good.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll leave at this: The proof is in the pudding.
If you ignore facts of the matter, what is there to say........I agree completely the proof is in the pudding and we have the proof in abundance.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Paradox: We are the only species of animal that denies the value of freedom and privacy.
umm...

1711134325193.jpeg

1711134589395.jpeg

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still have a 2011 BMW, bought new, which I hope to keep forever. It has physical buttons and knobs for the in-driving functions, doesn't have a touchscreen, and only uses the screen for 'maintenance' tasks like clock setting and tyre pressure and oil monitors. It doesn't have any form of on-line connectivity so no spyware. Drives really well, although has only done some 95,000 miles, so still a teenager.

Dreading having to buy a new car as I really don't like what I read about the intrusion, monitoring and control the manufacturers retain over what should be mine, outright, once I've paid for it.

S.

Sorry to tell you this, but I'd expect a 2011 BMW would already have telemetry data being sent.

Givaways are, does it have satnav? Does the satnav have traffic information? Does it have an SOS button? (i.e. for emergency rescue). Then it probably can dial in and send telemetry data (also accessible by the authorities). My 2009 has those. But I bet telemetry was fitted as standard even if those options weren't specified.

"It doesn't have any form of on-line connectivity" (that is user accessible).

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to tell you this, but I'd expect a 2011 BMW would already have telemetry data being sent.

Givaways are, does it have satnav? Does the satnav have traffic information? Does it have an SOS button? (i.e. for emergency rescue). Then it probably can dial in and send telemetry data (also accessible by the authorities). My 2009 has those. But I bet telemetry was fitted as standard even if those options weren't specified.

The 2011 BMW sends telemetry: yes it does.

Salt

Forum Donor
One point:
How is an Individual, and how are individual rights properly to be described?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No, no Satnav, no traffic information, no SOS button. Any software upgrades have to be made through a physical USB port. As far as I can tell, no connectivity of any sort.
S

-Matt-

Since 1998!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since 1998!
I don't seem to have any of that. No concierge services, no internet or BMW messaging or assistance. I haven't paid any monthly charges since new, so hope there's no monitoring at all.

S

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't seem to have any of that. No concierge services, no internet or BMW messaging or assistance. I haven't paid any monthly charges since new, so hope there's no monitoring at all.

S
There is a self contained "Black Box" (like in an airplane) that is hidden somewhere in the vehicle. It records the last minute or so of what the car is doing all the time. You do not own this box (even though you paid for it). Your insurance company does not own this box. (but is authorized to pull information from this box by the box owner). The box owner is the Federal Government of whatever country that you bought the car in.
They can tell: how fast you were going, whether you hit the brakes, if you hit the brakes, for how long, whether the ABS was activated, when the impact was, when the airbags deployed, etc, etc.
If an accident happens that causes you to be put into the hospital, the Police and insurance company can (and, depending on the accident, will) retrieve this information.
This stuff was mandated to be in all cars by 2014. But higher end cars started getting it much sooner. Once the governments realized what this information could do, they mandated it.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not specious if one believes in Nature.
I believe in Nature. Nature is cruel, unemotional, with no ethics or morals, able to wipe out more than 95% of Earth life in a short time with no regret or a passing thought. Nature subjects all living things to death, often after prolonged suffering, some after an extremely short life span. Survival of the fittest is one of the most cruel things one can think of to inflict on a life form, yet that's how this whole Natural world works and what drives everything.

Natural life is a never ending deathmatch with the winner getting to pass on just a bit more genetic material into the ever-evolving genetic pool than the loser. And you want to go back to Nature because you're longing for freedom? No thanks, I prefer civilization with all its flaws :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom