• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Specific/feature songs – topic: „subtle nuances”

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread title says it all, any quality suggestions welcomed, genre free.

Benedicte Torget - Sleep Awhile
Ok, from my personal point od view this starts like a “generic” song from some “hi-fi test” compilation (pardon), beatiful clean voice and a quality recording, but no emotions for me. What is very interesting in this song, comes at 1:20-1:51, beatiful „intermezzo“, with contrasting sound of a heavy drum (but still gentle) and subtle percussions and some other effects. It‘s like a hidden surprise/treasure :)

Cassandra Wilson - Harvest Moon
You can hear many gentle percussion effects and subtle sounds “behind” the front guitar and Cassandra’s voice throughout the whole song.

Holy cole – Train song
At last one notable classic, which I believe is well known.

Propheticus

A couple of months later, let me prevent you from having to talk to yourself a second time :)

This is a rather quiet or peaceful song. You hear the nuances of her articulation as if the mic is full open and she is singing softly and very closely.
Then at 2:30 it quiets down and you hear distant instruments (guitar) and voice and then suddenly more energy with a bass that was not there the whole song.
Luwten - Difference

This one starts pretty intimate with only a guitar and then a voice (could almost touch him right in front of you). Then it start building layers of instruments. How many can you count? Some subtle nuances in there like a soft piano and a far away trumpet in the right ear:
Nick Mulvey - Cucurucu

OP
pavuol

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of months later, let me prevent you from having to talk to yourself a second time :)
Aah [relieved], no more loneliness anxiety. I can finally reply to someone.

Now, shall we try some song for corona audiophile party? (lockdown, home alone, midnight, headphones, vodka sipping..]:
Mika Vainio - Unien holvit
{rest in peace)
note the "explicit lyrics" warning.. scandinavian sense of humor?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
well -- it's sort of the "two's complement" of the intent of this thread ;) -- but I would, humbly*, submit: The acoustic guitar part throughout the Who's otherwise hyper-bombastic (mostly) magnum opus (arguably), Won't Get Fooled Again.
It's most obvious (not that it's all that obvious) at the very beginning of the organ/synthesizer part near the end.
Pete Townshend gets (or at least he got, back in the 'seventies) dynamics -- much more so than most rock 'n' rollers. :cool:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rossiter Road from Ahmad Jamal. The delicate Chims an whispers sort of sounds on the background are quite delicate not only in low level sound but also in depth. I had the lp version when i bought the Cd this delicate sound was much more noticed because no vinyl hiss and or ticks on the background. This experience (An others) decided me to say goodbye to all my vinyl. Never looked back.

Last edited:

Propheticus

It's most obvious (not that it's all that obvious) at the very beginning of the organ/synthesizer part near the end.
Most obvious for those listening on headphones: focus on the left ear. It's panned full left spatially opposite to the organ to the right.

Pete Townshend gets (or at least he got, back in the 'seventies) dynamics -- much more so than most rock 'n' rollers. :cool:
Must agree, for a rock track with lots of instruments at the same time for the majority of the time, the dynamics are still there. Plenty of bombastic rock is so saturated and thereby fatigues so much I want to turn them down/off halfway through the track. Admittedly some of those magnum opus's as you call them are also quite lengthy. 15 minutes of cacophony without rest, no thanks.

Propheticus

Who said sub bass?
Billie Eilish - bad guy.png
Goes down to ~35Hz

Robin L

Master Contributor
I love Claus Ogerman's work, this track happens to have some of the best sound:

Here's another, less well known example of Claus Ogerman's work. String arrangements like clouds passing overhead:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is as subtle as a flying brick, bass goes down to 10hz [at least on my CD]:

mwmsom

The Mind Electric, Miracle Musical

This one is crawling with small nuances. You may first notice that the song is in reverse and given a full listen you will be led to think that the song is just copied and pasted but one is played reversed, but this is not the case. If you 'unreverse' the reversed part you will find a different version of the same song. It's shorter, and has plenty of instrumental and vocal differences. Within this one song itself, there's a ton of small nuances like some reversed percussion (in the forwards part), tiny vocal distortions, etc. But looking into this song with the entire album in mind, we can see other referenced things from other songs on the same album! For example, the bridge uses a chiptune section that's also in the next song, Labyrinth. A small piano part is also sampled from Murders, another song on this album. And the amount of demos the artist has provided for this song! Truly shows the amount of layers in this song and the complexity of its development. I could go on for days about this song but you really need to listen to it for thyself.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Top Bottom