• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony ES DA3300 & Pioneer SC-1522k Receivers

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
Howdy,

What do you all do with stuff like this? I have both of these receivers from old iterations of my home stereo/theater setup. Both are in excellent condition, have all their original stuff, remotes, manuals, boxes, etc.

They're not really "destination" items, so selling them on eBay or something seems to make almost no sense as nobody would really be specifically looking for these things, so they'd just get drowned out in the noise of other sellers/recyclers' listings.

I don't even really know what kind of price to put on them? Maybe $125 for the Sony ES and $200 for the Pioneer?

Cheers!

OP
N

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
The Pioneer is very similar to one that @amirm tested forever ago. I think he tested the "Elite" counterpart of the same lineage of receivers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No spare rooms and other speakers where you can put them to use? Friends/family that could use a little audio help? I find selling inconvenient myself....and I think you'd do well if you got the prices you're thinking of but in the covid days could well be....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Nathan_A have you any boxes for shipping these beasty receivers? Box and packing with shipping expenses can add up.

OP
N

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
@Nathan_A have you any boxes for shipping these beasty receivers? Box and packing with shipping expenses can add up.

Yep. I have a vintage computer hobby that's gotten a bit out of hand...

PXL_20220613_035840421.jpg

...(made a little museum in my home office) that results in a lot of empty oversized boxes accumulating in my garage and I have a FedEx account for easy shipping & discount rates.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 232435

...(made a little museum in my home office) that results in a lot of empty oversized boxes accumulating in my garage and I have a FedEx account for easy shipping & discount rates.
Very nice! Having all those things organized makes for some easy shipping/receiving. :D That Indigo box at the left side looks rare.

OP
N

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
No spare rooms and other speakers where you can put them to use? Friends/family that could use a little audio help? I find selling inconvenient myself....and I think you'd do well if you got the prices you're thinking of but in the covid days could well be....
Unfortunately, no extra systems and no extra friends in-need.

I'm not married to the prices. I just pulled random numbers out of a not so random place. :)

I'd be content to let them go for shipping + "any reasonable offer". They're literally doing nothing sitting in the closet in my office except taking up space that needs to be taken up by an old DEC AlphaServer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, no extra systems and no extra friends in-need.

I'm not married to the prices. I just pulled random numbers out of a not so random place. :)

I'd be content to let them go for shipping + "any reasonable offer". They're literally doing nothing sitting in the closet in my office except taking up space that needs to be taken up by an old DEC AlphaServer.
Might check those and similar units sold on ebay.....DEC?!

OP
N

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
Very nice! Having all those things organized makes for some easy shipping/receiving. :D That Indigo box at the left side looks rare.
The setup has changed slightly. It's now (top to bottom): Quadra 610 (to run AU/X), NeXTstation Turbo, Indigo2 IMPACT10000, Ultra 2 Elite3D, HP Visualize C240, UMAX J700 (w/ dual CPUs to run BeOS).

The rest are: SE/30, ColorClassic II, eMac 1.42, Quadra 840AV, PowerTower Pro 250 (fastest Mac clone), and Quad G5.

The trick was to have all that stuff in a pile of boxes in my office long enough for my wife to absolutely hate seeing them through the living room french doors, so that she'd be ecstatic to have them all organized and nicely setup instead of upset that I'd acquired them at all. :)

OP
N

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
Might check those and similar units sold on ebay.....DEC?!
Prices seem to vary between $50 and $300 depending on condition + accessories. With the Sonys running about 1/3 to 1/2 the sale prices of the Pioneers.

My main goal is to get them to somewhere that they'll be used and not trashed more than it is to extract money out of them, FWIW.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Prices seem to vary between $50 and $300 depending on condition + accessories. With the Sonys running about 1/3 to 1/2 the sale prices of the Pioneers.

My main goal is to get them to somewhere that they'll be used and not trashed more than it is to extract money out of them, FWIW.
Sony ES series was a cut above, somewhat like Pioneer Elite at one time. Might not reflect when connectivity is too old, tho. There's always donating to local groups/schools ?

As far as that DEC stuff....seems to me way back when that was our hardware provider (for some specific industry software that worked on it). That was like late 70s/early 80s....same company or am I thinking of someone else? Think it was considered a micro system (vs full IBM).

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
A multi-channel receiver can serve as a MC input > volume control > MC power amplification device.

When you like tinkering with active crossovers they can be very useful in this role.

I'd be interested in the Pioneer if you're willing to let it go for shipping (or very cheap, price dependent). I'd be replacing a lesser receiver and giving it to a sibling. Is that a P1110 in the picture?

Last edited:
It took a little while to get things rolling but I received the Pioneer unit a little over a week ago. Set-up and working nicely. Sibling has my previous receiver now and they haven't reported any dropout issues since :).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...(made a little museum in my home office) ...
View attachment 232435
What a gorgeous little museum.
Mine is more like a 'hoarder" problem.
I can probably dig out the Intel 8086/7 math co-processor or any vintage memory module (1980s thru 2010s) that I just could not throw out.
I have some of the earliest 2.4kbps modems and the last 96kbps that we thought was the cat's meow (gift from the gods?).
The boxes of old electronics probably take up the whole sidewall of the garage to the rafters (20" deep).
How about these?
P1150171.JPG

Can you relate???;)

Top Bottom