• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some KEF R3 Meta measurements with REW - what can be improved

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Don’t worry. You are good. Look at your green curve. If you were to move them “far” away from the walls you loose the room gain effect for the lower frequency and your R3 would lack bass, especially as they don’t have big / many bass drivers.

As said above, to smooth the lower frequencies get at least RoomEQ and if you can a sub or even two.
Ah, yes good point. Seems obvious now when you say it.

Yeah, I will not fiddle too much with my setup. Now I just want to understand more of the why’s and how’s to it’s workings.

I’ve gotten advice on getting sub(s) from Rythmik, Arendal and perhaps SVS. Earlier in June I was looking at SVS; the 1000, 2000 and 3000 models, but they just increased the prices on them in Norway :facepalm:

Thank’s for sharing your knowledge!

alont

Forum Donor
View attachment 296226

Regarding SBIR.. then the huge valley/dip in bass on the red curve is due to the original positioning beeing around one of these frequency nodes/‘quarters’? On this measurement, the front of the speakers were aprox. 47cm from the back wall.

The dip around 150Hz seems to correlate quite well with the SBIR calculations and the positioning, I think.
Either that or a room mode. If you take multiple room measurements across the room and that dip remains fairly consistent, it's likely SBIR. If it drastically changes, it's a room mode.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

Either that or a room mode. If you take multiple room measurements across the room and that dip remains fairly consistent, it's likely SBIR. If it drastically changes, it's a room mode.

Thank’s. I just tried the Amroc room mode calculator, which shows room modes around several of my measured dips/peaks.

IMG_1009.jpeg

I’ll try a few measurements later.

holbob

If that's both speakers measured as one, it might be a cancellation between the 2 speakers. You'll need to measure them individually to find out.

OP
nygafre

nygafre

If that's both speakers measured as one, it might be a cancellation between the 2 speakers. You'll need to measure them individually to find out.
Ah.. Yes, probably it is the two speakers cancelling as it went away when I moved them further apart. I’ll do some individual measurements of each speaker to verify when I get time.

Last edited:
OP
nygafre

nygafre

So far, I’ve not been able to recreate the poor measurement I had in the original position (the red-brown curve), so not sure what happened there. The positioning should be exactly the same. It doesn’t really matter..

Looking to get the S3 stands now, the night stands doesn’t look quite right :p (but at least they do the job).

Thank’s for all the input!

Last edited:
Top Bottom