• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Or a lump of copper with vaporized insulation ;o)

Puts me to mind of the age-old carbon cake demonstration.
Sucrose plus conc. sulfuric acid and a little time (not too much).
I'll bet kids these days don't get to see cool demos like this in school. No wonder they're all in such bad shape! Kidding, kidding. ;)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Puts me to mind of the age-old carbon cake demonstration.
Sucrose plus conc. sulfuric acid and a little time (not too much).
I'll bet kids these days don't get to see cool demos like this in school. No wonder they're all in such bad shape! Kidding, kidding. ;)

I liked chemistry at school; a bunch of 15 year olds + naked flames and a room full of dangerous chemicals, what could possibly go wrong. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
As a carbohydrate biochemist, I've done my time with both conc. sulfuric acid and carbohyrates of various kinds, let me tell you... ;)
It doesn't really burn skin all that much, or that quickly. :rolleyes::facepalm:
The trick if you get some on your skin: don't wash it off with water (!), wipe it off first.
Don't ask me how I know this...

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The cables won't even notice the Cable Cooker. It's sort of like an Olympic marathon runner taking a casual walk around the block and calling it a training run.
Consider this:
A typical 14AWG loudspeaker cable can carry almost 27 Amps of current for 3 hours before the insulation fails. Or 160 Amps of current before the wire fuses. These cables are often rated at 300 or 600 Volts, but it might be close to 2000 Volts before the insulation fails.
Don't think any of the Cookers come close.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I only have ten fingers so that is about as high as my math goes. For a really big project off come the shoes and socks.
Pleeease, there is absolutely no need to take off your shoes/socks; as you can go all the way up to log base^14, in one single hand.:oops:
It is called the "Log of Natural Bones"!
[Were you just counting the number of bones (phalanges) your 5 digits possess]?:D

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Perhaps a lump of nothing with vaporized copper ;)

Given the seemingly unlimited budget of audiophools, perhaps cables should be operated at the triple point of copper :cool:

Jasperous

The makers of the heralded Shakti Stone spent over 10 years developing a breakthrough advance in room treatment. The Hallographs will amaze you upon hearing all the previously obscured ambient detail from all of your recordings. These beautiful, hardwood alternatives to bulky panels are mounted behind each speaker, near the corners of the back wall. Fully adjustable for different sized rooms and speakers, they include both floor stands and wall brackets. They produce a stunning increase in realism.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/a...ograph-2015-01-10-accessories-78750-austin-tx
I’m sorry… WHAT! I’m not high enough for this… WHAT?!?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This pack of 8 “audiophile speaker feet” retails for $8,400. Note this website says “Contact us for price”. I didn’t bother—I just googled it. Regretfully.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I bet you didn’t know you needed an “Ambient Field Conditioner” either…

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This pack of 8 “audiophile speaker feet” retails for $8,400. Note this website says “Contact us for price”. I didn’t bother—I just googled it. Regretfully.

Linky no worky. :p

And I bet you didn’t know you needed an “Ambient Field Conditioner” either…
Praise the Lord - it's a miracle.

I wonder if they have measurements of the EMI field in a room before/after installation of the device. Plus measurements showing the impacts of any change on the audio.

No, don't tell me.... let me guess. :rolleyes:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linky no worky. :p

Praise the Lord - it's a miracle.

I wonder if they have measurements of the EMI field in a room before/after installation of the device. Plus measurements showing the impacts of any change on the audio.

No, don't tell me.... let me guess. :rolleyes:
Sorry about the dead link. Try this one!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As a carbohydrate biochemist, I've done my time with both conc. sulfuric acid and carbohyrates of various kinds, let me tell you... ;)
It doesn't really burn skin all that much, or that quickly. :rolleyes::facepalm:
The trick if you get some on your skin: don't wash it off with water (!), wipe it off first.
Don't ask me how I know this...

My work takes me to the other end of the scale, where we deal with Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide. Dealt with fairly quickly it isn't too bad, but we once had a guy who mixed up a solution unwittingly spill some onto his sock, and didn't realize it until much later when he took it off. That was a nasty one. Ok, where were we again?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sorry about the dead link. Try this one!

Dude! No wonder they cost so much, coming in that fitted case and all.
1709053475342.png

Now -- why would one need a fitted travel case for items that are going to be deployed underneath large, heavy loudspeakers?
Am I being too rational?

If one responds -- well, maybe you'd need it if you're going to move, and the system needs to be disassembled and transported. Well, OK, but wouldn't one also want similar cases for the loudspeakers themselves?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dude! No wonder they cost so much, coming in that fitted case and all.
View attachment 352663

Now -- why would one need a fitted travel case for items that are going to be deployed underneath large, heavy loudspeakers?
Am I being too rational?

If one responds -- well, maybe you'd need it if you're going to move, and the system needs to be disassembled and transported. Well, OK, but wouldn't one also want similar cases for the loudspeakers themselves?
Also that finish. It’s done for the second you use it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My work takes me to the other end of the scale, where we deal with Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide. Dealt with fairly quickly it isn't too bad, but we once had a guy who mixed up a solution unwittingly spill some onto his sock, and didn't realize it until much later when he took it off. That was a nasty one. Ok, where were we again?
I first made my name (such as it is) in my discipline by developing & (more to the point) popularizing a liquid chromatography system for high resolution separations of complicated oligosaccharides. The system used strong anion exchange chromatography to separate ionized (deprotonated) sugars with "dilute" (relatively speaking) NaOH both to ionize the analytes and as the basic (no pun intended) eluant. In most cases, the final concentration was (is) 0.1 molar NaOH, which is most conveniently made* by dilution of commercially available 50% (18.9 M) NaOH solution.
After the first layer of epidermis dissolves away, skin's pretty resistant to 50% NaOH. Again, it's better wiped off first. :p
... and boy howdy is 50% NaOH slimy.

* I am nothing if not lazy -- and, in seriousness, the "carbonate problem" with NaOH-containing solutions is largely circumvented by using the concentrated liquid reagent. Any sodium carbonate (from atmospheric CO2) will precipate to the bottom of the bottle.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I first made my name (such as it is) in my discipline by developing & (more to the point) popularizing a liquid chromatography system for high resolution separations of complicated oligosaccharides. The system used strong anion exchange chromatography to separate ionized (deprotonated) sugars with "dilute" (relatively speaking) NaOH both to ionize the analytes and as the basic (no pun intended) eluant. In most cases, the final concentration was (is) 0.1 molar NaOH, which is most conveniently made* by dilution of commercially available 50% (18.9 M) NaOH solution.
After the first layer of epidermis dissolves away, skin's pretty resistant to 50% NaOH. Again, it's better wiped off first. :p
... and boy howdy is 50% NaOH slimy.

* I am nothing if not lazy -- and, in seriousness, the "carbonate problem" with NaOH-containing solutions is largely circumvented by using the concentrated liquid reagent. Any sodium carbonate (from atmospheric CO2 will precipate to the bottom of the bottle).
Chemical peel

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your work covers a lot of bases. OMG I can’t BELIEVE I said that…

Top Bottom