• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Victor Martell

They are too small to be as useful for what we normally deal with on a daily basis. At the same time, a meter is not as handy as feet. That would be like us measuring room size in yards or square yards. I've never heard anyone do that.

It’s all just a matter of familiarity.
[snip]
Anyway thinking imperial is better than metric is like thinking English is the best language just because it is the only one you speak.

Customers.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Natural (base e) logs, not the base 10 ones, though
I am totally comfortable with the 'MDF' (base^10) variety.
What was the last time you used those 'Natural' (base^e) logs?
... except, possibly in a fireplace?:facepalm:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
After reading all of these posts of Metric vs Imperial, I looked at my fingers and realised it didn't matter. I only have ten fingers so that is about as high as my math goes. For a really big project off come the shoes and socks. The toes are then used. but that is rare. I guess it is what you are used to. LOL

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Go ahead and see it as a parody. It doesn't bother me at all. I am mostly serious. Especially about millimeters and centimeters vs inches and kilometers vs miles. They are too small to be as useful for what we normally deal with on a daily basis. At the same time, a meter is not as handy as feet. That would be like us measuring room size in yards or square yards. I've never heard anyone do that.
Sorry for dragging this up again, but I just saw this and thought of you... :p

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I was rich, I’d buy one and then send some uncooked ones and a series of cooked wires in to be tested.
Your contribution is the most pathognomonic example of snake oil I’ve encountered yet. Someone should buy snakeoil.com and have it redirect to that site.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Your contribution is the most pathognomonic example of snake oil I’ve encountered yet. Someone should buy snakeoil.com and have it redirect to that site.
What really scares me, why would you buy one?? Set up a month rotation to keep the cables at the right temperature or “state of transparency”?? Apparently the rogue cable need to be controlled

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What really scares me, why would you buy one?? Set up a month rotation to keep the cables at the right temperature or “state of transparency”?? Apparently the rogue cable need to be controlled
You wouldn’t, and shouldn’t—that’s what we have Head-Fi for!

Victor Martell

Sorry for dragging this up again, but I just saw this and thought of you... :p

HAHAHA! :D

We stand together with Liberia and Myanmar in the use of the Star Wars System! :D

Even though I think the use of the Star Wars system is preposterous (and I am a U.S.A. citizen - America is a continent, BTW) you gotta admire our gumption! The whole world mock us for that yet we turn it around and believe the whole world is in the wrong! :D hehehe

Metric system - all for it. GOT MY VOTE!

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Customer-direct pricing without dealer or distributor markup”.
How can you not trust a company that takes care of its customers like this?
What’s to mark up? They took care of the price gouging themselves for an item that’s essentially a Kenner Easy Bake oven my sister had as a kid.

Gregm

“Customer-direct pricing without dealer or distributor markup”.
How can you not trust a company that takes care of its customers like this?
Good point!
On an actual serious note: does anyone actually know what this device does to a wire?
I mean, how do you actually go about cooking a wire?
(Maybe: blast it with hi-frequency noise at high amplitude until it breaks down and confesses to the crime?)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I used my sisters easy bake oven when I was growing up. It rocked for kids use. I wonder if they even make them anymore.
The modern high efficiency models using LED lamps just don't work all that well. Takes two years to bake a brownie, you know? Kids these days just ain't patient enough.

:cool:

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I’d love to see pictures and schematics of the insides of the cooker

We are probably all missing the boat on this, apparently it’s akin to Alien technology

Roland68

Major Contributor
Guys, devices like this have been around for at least 30 years and some dealers used to charge 2-3 digit sums for burning in the cables they bought from you for their customers. Only a few ridiculous watts go over it.

But that's all children's shit.
I do something like this with current surges of 1-5 kA kiloamperes at 1-2 kV. With these power surges, even the cheapest cable becomes a high-quality oxygen-free and monocrystalline (OFC and OCC) cable.
Or a lump of copper with vaporized insulation ;o)

Top Bottom