• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
This will probably get deleted but I am going to say it anyway. My mate blew his inheritance of over a million bucks on drugs and hookers. He's dead now. Still it's hard to see who got the better value for their money, the guy who buys the QPoint or my mate. RIP Sid.
Your friend got the better deal. He paid for hookers and drugs. He received hookers and drugs. Evidently he enjoyed himself. Far better deal than getting scammed by some fraudulent company. Now that is not to say I have any experience with hookers and drugs. Oh, and no I have never solicited any Florida Gator College girls for high paid sex. That was someone who looks like me. I'm innocent!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
He pulled the same crap at RMAF 2018 with USB cables. I was watching him change the audio settings on his laptop everytime he changed a cable. He got caught out by a couple of us.
OK, looks like I might have been generous there.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Your friend got the better deal. He paid for hookers and drugs. He received hookers and drugs. Evidently he enjoyed himself. Far better deal than getting scammed by some fraudulent company. Now that is not to say I have any experience with hookers and drugs. Oh, and no I have never solicited any Florida Gator College girls for high paid sex. That was someone who looks like me. I'm innocent!
WIth no experience of the subject whatsoever (I don't either), how do you know that he got the drugs he paid for and not something cheap and nasty cut with bleach?

noiseangel

Been there, done that. Nordost rep at a show changed up the range of USB cables and each one "sounded better". The problem? The cheap one had been in place for other company demos all day and didn't sound obviously bad except during the Nordost guy's own demo when it suddeny did. It was hardly subtle, either.

Apparently what they do is play a sample, change the cable, play a different file of the same music, and so on. Let's not bring on a lawsuit, but just suggest that if not only the cable has changed, it might not be a fair demo in some weird way?
That's what he did. We caught him we could see the screen from where we were sitting. Every time a different file

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Becky got paid to write this, maybe she is on to something.........."When not writing, she dances, spins in the air, drinks coffee, watches football or surfs in Cornwall with her other half – a football writer whose talent knows no bounds"
And I'd like to see the football write, please :)

noiseangel

WIth no experience of the subject whatsoever (I don't either), how do you know that he got the drugs he paid for and not something cheap and nasty cut with bleach?
True enough can't trust anyone these days.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
That's what he did. We caught him we could see the screen from where we were sitting. Every time a different file
There's another trick I've seen used, which is to sit an iPhone running a phone call on an unscreened and then a screened cable. Works best with analogue cables that one, but can work with a poorly isolated DAC as well

bquimby

Please forgive me if I may have forgotten any examples of your blanket assertion; as there has been 98 pages of discussions in this thread...:facepalm:

Ah, so the tenor of the discussion for such bits of hardware has moved on significantly, then, to the point where such a response doesn't occur in contemporaneous reviews of similar products? Good to know!

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or you could go as far as saying that Snake Oil salesmen are just a far less honest kind of drug dealers.
It's all the same as selling salvation for cash. Confederacies of slippery promises that belief will pay off with... you guessed it... veils lifted... and harps playing. Trust me. :facepalm:

noiseangel

I have heard through the snake vine that SR are releasing a new range of "INERT" cables. The design for this is based on what is inside TED's head. Should be a great success.

noiseangel

Don't you just love how anything on the internet NEVER GOES AWAY.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

If only reviews of cables had included measurements from day one (no measurements here) we would all be in a much better state.

And there are no Synergistic products in the latest Stereophile recommended list, at least.

Tranquility Bass

Audio Company
Forum Donor

Why no measurements ? They could have easily done what Amir did but no - nothing except a whole lot of pseudo science and audio poetry !

Like John Dunlavy said decades ago:-

I sincerely believe the time has come for concerned audiophiles, true engineers, competent physicists, academics, mag editors, etc. to take a firm stand regarding much of this disturbing new trend in the blatantly false claims frequently found in cable advertising. If we fail to do so, reputable designers, engineers, manufacturers, magazine editors and product reviewers may find their reputation tarnished beyond repair among those of the audiophile community we are supposed to serve.

Best regards,
John Dunlavy

Seems to have fallen upon deaf ears.

http://verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html

noiseangel

Nitro Nano is our Nitro power cord but using BlackDiscus NANO parts inside.

We call it Nitro as it has such a fast sound, giving leading edges that realistic bite, and starting and stopping on a dime. But it's also super-smooth, a rare combination that makes for a highly musical power cord. NANO just makes it even better!

Nitro Nano power cords use 11awg conductors with PTFE insulation, covered with cotton, hand wound in a unique pattern, screened and mechanically damped copper foils. This wire leads to the improved two stage filter using the NANO versions of Black Sticks, Kegs. Plugs are Rhodium plate over copper.

Top Bottom