• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Wtf?
The company who is selling this can't be serious...

They are. That's the saddest part of it all.

I do not think many people care about what you think or your explanation this is a forum for opinions reviews answers and questions about audio gear. You sir are a perfect example of why forums on any subject are practically a waste of time. You have to sift through all the babble or be well aquatinted enough with the users to know who's to read of not

I don't mind his babble. I agree with a lot of it.

Irrationality is unavoidable. The best thing you can do about it as a human being is to make youself more aware of the motivations behind your choices. "I know it's silly, but I like it" instead of "I have no rational justification for my actions, so I'm just gonna grab some straws over here".

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think you get the prize for finding the most amazingly made up snake oil ever! Mitigation of RF from solar flares..... Amazing.

I can't claim the find. That particular company's "research" gets mentioned a lot whenever the topic is blatant snake-oil.

Habu

Last edited:

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not quite what you're descibing, but Synergistic Research makes all kinds of nonsense: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/atmosphere-infinity/
What the heck is it?
It looks like he is actual mocking the people who buy it?
Laughing all the way to the bank.
'transport' lol
It could possible hurt the SQ by causing RF interference with other gear.

Next stop, the Twilight Zone.​

The Atmosphere is a two-channel, multi-wave RF field generator with the power to transport you to the live event.

And this accessories is tossed in, a $500 value.

Attachments

• 1A17261C-EB01-4736-B56B-EF336CB69CFC.jpeg
    1A17261C-EB01-4736-B56B-EF336CB69CFC.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

BoredErica

Luke Lemke

I was looking for some stuff on ebay and came accross a used ATH-A2000Zs. I quickly googled for a review and this is what I found on What Hifi:
"Authoritative and detailed but lack subtlety"...
What the hell does that even mean?

1641174126926.png

radix

Major Contributor
My favorites are their ECT's and GCT's, which I oft refer to here as the "Magic Dots"
Just what every audiophool must have, a half dozen or so of these things floating around
inside your expensive gear. :facepalm: You just can't fix stupid!

ECT_Instructions_040714A.jpg

Wow. And those cost $300 (ect) - $400 (gct) each! I don't understand how someone would spend $10k+ on an amp or preamp (it's audiophile), and then expect it needs 3rd party "dots". And if you have to use 4 - 6 of them (e.g. $1500 - $2000), why you would use them on anything less than a $10k device.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Wow. And those cost $300 (ect) - $400 (gct) each! I don't understand how someone would spend $10k+ on an amp or preamp (it's audiophile), and then expect it needs 3rd party "dots". And if you have to use 4 - 6 of them (e.g. $1500 - $2000), why you would use them on anything less than a $10k device.
It does get close to solar tower prices. And probably far cheaper to "manufacture."

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking for some stuff on ebay and came accross a used ATH-A2000Zs. I quickly googled for a review and this is what I found on What Hifi:
"Authoritative and detailed but lack subtlety"...
What the hell does that even mean?

View attachment 176316
I read that to say they're presumptuous little cans with a round nose but a bit short on the finish.

Roland68

Major Contributor
The one maxim that can be relied upon, especially after the shenanigans of the previous couple of years is “never underestimate stupidity”
My father used to say "every morning a fool gets up".

SchwarzeWolke

Forum Donor
Do people at Shunyata or Nordost really believe their bullcrap or are they just making things up to just earn money?
Are they real firm believers that their products do have a benefit?

escksu

Do people at Shunyata or Nordost really believe their bullcrap or are they just making things up to just earn money?
How about you ask them and tell us whats their answers?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
No, they know it is pure snake oil. But, the profit in snake oil is huge. They laugh all the way to the bank. It is what it is.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
One does have to wonder about the customers. But if you can spend 3K on a power cord, well the wealth does need to be distributed. Where I get upset is the salesman selling $300 cables to the lady buying $250 speakers. He should be selling $500 speakers and tossing in some zip cord.

Top Bottom