• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

egellings

Major Contributor
If the phono's VTA is misadjusted, that cannot be corrected by changing the listener's height in front of the speakers. Ya gotta fix yer needle!

Andysu

Major Contributor
OMG! How funny. New Idea: An audiophile chair that is a modified dentist’s chair . . . Just think how the soundstage will be deeper and wider, the instruments perfectly placed, and instead of one of those little water sprayers that hooks in your mouth, it can spray beer or the beverage of your choice without moving your head and destroying the soundstage!
wear headphones can walk around the room and the frequencies stay the same or do they ? not tried corners with sine wave low tones to see if it's measurable ? if a tiny fraction dB is or can be detected ? sweet spots . couldn't care less . real life has sweet spots everywhere deal with it audiophiles .

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These people are amoral. It's literally fraud and anyone selling them really should have to evidence the claims.

When people argue that its the individuals "choice" to buy these snake oil items that's not exactly 100% true, they'd need to be making an informed decision to do that, and they aren't.
I posted some correct criticism in my reviews on the British audiophool company QED's website. The reviews were blocked and this is illegal. So I reposted them on this webpage:

Much other marketing propaganda is also illegal, you can report such companies to the authorities and be an informed consumer. I started out uninformed and confused by some illegal audiophool marketing, but was able to inform myself and the question is whether the authorities will ever have the resources to deal with it.

Here is the evidence that QED is actually an illegal and laughably propaganda-oriented company (Provision 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008):

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
snake cables at time stamp . neptune . isn't that some sea lord that lives down in the ocean and planet in the solar system ? so guess the neptune is wow ? at bs tens of thousands :facepalm: sheer daylight robbery .

Vacceo

Major Contributor
And you ask me why Darko deserves all the crap we give him...

Audiofire

Forum Donor
And you ask me why Darko deserves all the crap we give him...

"This is the BEST video about LOUDSPEAKER CABLES that you will see all year"

What an audiophool disaster, even that title of the video from Darko Audio! There was no speaker grill or cloth on the loudspeakers at the head of marketing's home, even though there are dogs and cotton in the room. The gauge was too thick on the loudspeaker cables and the prices from Cardas Audio are a tragedy.

I didn't make it further than 10 minutes of the video, where the head of marketing talks about resolving the differences from expensive cables.

Last edited:

Audiofire

Forum Donor
And for every person like me who joins, 100s don’t. But they visit and may also be better guarded against outright cons.
If people have Internet access and are tech-savvy audiophiles that want to understand the hi-fi equipment that is best, they will have no problem with finding Audio Science Review sooner or later.

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I didn't make it further than 10 minutes of the video, where the head of marketing talks about resolving the differences from expensive cables.
That was as far as I got.

In the topsy-turvey world of audiophilia a salesman and an expert are the same thing.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

"This is the BEST video about LOUDSPEAKER CABLES that you will see all year"

What an audiophool disaster, even that title of the video from Darko Audio! There was no speaker grill or cloth on the loudspeakers at the head of marketing's home, even though there are dogs and cotton in the room. The gauge was too thick on the loudspeaker cables and the prices from Cardas Audio are a tragedy.

I hope he does not answer Amir, so he can go berserker on him.

jsrtheta

I recently read a couple of new trends:

1. Cascaded audiophile Ethernet switches (two or more in series) to further improve audio and video performance; and,
2. Take apart your equipment and loosen/retighten all the PCB mounting screws to "relax" the sound.

I have not tried either so could not say how much they really work. :cool: I suppose the second is free, assuming you don't break anything and void the warranty.
There's something to be said for taking the top off. (And not as part of a dirty joke, either.)

Years ago I bought a PS Audio Ultralink II, which I believed was close to the solution for all my problems. Got it home, wired it up, plugged it in, and...no sound.

I took the top off, gazed inside, could see nothing wrong (like I would have known if there was), put the top back on, plugged it in, and...it worked perfectly!

A year or so later I was in a used shop and asked to try out an old PS Audio preamp (can't remember which one). The salesman hooked it up, turned it on and...no sound.

The salesman apologized profusely, but I just said, "Take the top off." He did, at which point I said, "Now put it back on." He gave me an odd look, but went ahead and screwed the top back on. He hooked it up, turned it on, and...

It worked perfectly.

bkatbamna

There's something to be said for taking the top off. (And not as part of a dirty joke, either.)

Years ago I bought a PS Audio Ultralink II, which I believed was close to the solution for all my problems. Got it home, wired it up, plugged it in, and...no sound.

I took the top off, gazed inside, could see nothing wrong (like I would have known if there was), put the top back on, plugged it in, and...it worked perfectly!

A year or so later I was in a used shop and asked to try out an old PS Audio preamp (can't remember which one). The salesman hooked it up, turned it on and...no sound.

The salesman apologized profusely, but I just said, "Take the top off." He did, at which point I said, "Now put it back on." He gave me an odd look, but went ahead and screwed the top back on. He hooked it up, turned it on, and...

It worked perfectly.
Does Microsoft secretly make PS Audio products?

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
Dismiss it if you like, but when I played the very first demagnetized LP, my wife immediately noticed from the kitchen. It turns out that the rotating magnetic fields affected her carbon-steel knives, so the Furutech allows much thinner, more consistent, tomato slices.
But what wood was the cutting board made out of? If it did not get pulled out of a swamp in Africa chances are your audio system is leaving a bit on the 'table. Also, end grain vs side grain will have an affect, as well as the glue.

Motoman4540

But what wood was the cutting board made out of? If it did not get pulled out of a swamp in Africa chances are your audio system is leaving a bit on the 'table. Also, end grain vs side grain will have an affect, as well as the glue.
Just think . . . Use Shun Mook’s magic aged African swamp ebony for a cutting board . . . Imagine how the ebony molecules will excite your favorite cheese!

sq225917

Major Contributor
So if you buy cardas audio products you're keeping some very nice people employed in the USA and feeding a vain slackers ego and helping a stubby little women kid herself that she's six foot tall.

On balance I rather like them as a company, they're harmless and redistributing wealth.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So if you buy cardas audio products you're keeping some very nice people employed in the USA and feeding a vain slackers ego and helping a stubby little women kid herself that she's six foot tall.

On balance I rather like them as a company, they're harmless and redistributing wealth.
I find the conductor configuration to be pretty sophisticated if not overly complicated and in some of the models of cables silly but as a organization to work for it seems pretty good as you mentioned and has interesting people that admit they are not making rockets or some such stuff and are making audio cables and connectors. Making wire into cables and the finished product is a laborious operation as I found when I assembled ~2000 MIT RCA cables decades ago and I do commend Cardas for creating steady jobs and good economy from raw materials and offering some very good quality product. It's not for me but if somebody is going to need some stuff Cardas is a interesting choice.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I like hygiene.

wood is naturally antibacterial and often the best choice for a chopping board, ever seen a well used butchers block?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
wood is naturally antibacterial and often the best choice for a chopping board, ever seen a well used butchers block?
O yeah! I worked a prized butcher block of a Chinese chef that I worked for 2.5 years and it was dished out on top and cleaned/scraped every day multiple times to keep it clean. It was huge and right at a good working level so one does not get a sore back. A workman's tool. :D When the big cleaver comes out for chopping big sides of ribs one needs a big chopping block that can take some hits. It never rotted nor smelled bad.

Top Bottom