• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Skipping Mains Plugs for Power Amps

Arno Fennix

I wonder if someone thought about or actually implemented it.
In case there is a dedicated powerline for the audio setup and that cable is ending close to all audio-equipment, it seems to be tempting to direct-wire the power-amp power-leads directly to that incoming power cable and in this way skipping the plugs (another contact transition reduced). Keeping the connector on the amplifiers of course for practical reasons.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My guess would be that would not meet code.

YMMV.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether it meets code or not, firstly there's the inconvenience of having the cable hard wired to the wall, and secondly, there's no benefit to doing so. Power for a power amp does NOT come directly from the mains, but from the power supply's reservoir capacitors. These in turn get charged up 100 or 120 times per second from the mains transformer, through rectifiers and fuses, so the possible reduction of a few milliohms of contact resistance is totally swamped by the other resistances in circuit.
Even with a SMPS, which does not rely on large reservoirs for smoothing, the power supply's impedance however low is many times greater than any possible amount of contact resistance.
S

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^That crap...because they refuse to learn the simple basics of psychology regarding hearing sense perception. Learning as in <1 hour via google. There is no excuse now, with internet.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
As usefull as an empty saltshaker to enhance your food. It depends all on your imaginagion.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could direct wire your speakers to the mains to see if your woofers are robust.

Katji

Major Contributor
All you need / the solution is... good quality wall outlets/sockets with spring-tensioned receptacles /pin sockets. (Not sure of the right words.)

It varies per country and the wall outlets depend on when the building was built or renovated. There might be a trend to using cheaper, inferior products / contractor supplies.

The same applies to power strips - which is more typically a problem. Power strips and adaptors are unavoidable. The room will typically have 1 or 2 wall outlets and you have other appliances, not just hi-fi.
Contact is a problem, or potentially a problem. (Engineers' Blue will show it, you might be surprised to see how little contact there is. Receptacles in power strips become loose and the receptacle/contacts flex because they're made of thin brass or inferior/unsuitable brass. Some people modify them, upgrade them... drill out the plastic rivet things to open them, replace the badly riveted interconnecting strips with heavy gauge wire. (Household electrical wire.)

Better power strips...what is available depends on country. PDU (Power Distribution Units) - Look at suppliers of electrical stuff for network server rooms and so on. APC is a well-known brand...and I think there is at least one good brand in Germany.

wwenze

Major Contributor
^^^That crap...because they refuse to learn the simple basics of psychology regarding hearing sense perception. Learning as in <1 hour via google. There is no excuse now, with internet.

Is 10 minutes on Facebook equivalent to <1 hour via google?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I estimate that is a rather dangerous suggestion
When I was a student, I did a bit of disco work at parties. At one party, I had the 'speakers at the opposite end of the room from the turntables and amp, and needed long 'speaker cables. I realised I could use a long three core mains extension for left and right, with a common wire, a bit like headphones. To save time, I put a mains socket on the amp and mains plugs on the 'speakers and it all worked fine. After a couple of hours of partying, I was fiddling around under the table, trying to sort out some problem or other, and unplugged the 'speakers from the amp. I then plugged them back in, but unfortunately used the mains distribution strip, not the amp. There was the most monumental BANG, as the cone of the 'speaker between live and earth blew out and landed on the floor gently smoking, whilst the one between neutral and earth just hummed gently to itself. It was probably the loudest noise I've ever heard, and the party went silent. Could have heard a pin drop, until some wag said, 'bet you can't do that again!'

Never ever used a mains extension for anything other than mains.

S

Top Bottom