• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shure SRH1540 non-destructive Bluetooth mod with Fiio BTR

wildgooselake

4DA87259-CC97-4707-BC5E-9867E7B0706C.jpeg
I converted my much loved SRH1540 into a Bluetooth headset by adding a Fiio BTR3K to it.

The entire mod does not alter the headphones, require disassembly, making extra holes, or whatever else. Just 3.5mm jack, some tie wraps, a soldering iron, and a fitting cable with two MMCX ends (I sacrificed one of the two that came with the headphone, they’re quite stiff and rubbery anyway).

I could have used as 4-pin 2.5mm for balanced, the Fiio has this output option, but it’s more rare and hence harder to find. Plus I can never hear a difference between unbalanced and balanced for headphones (for speakers of course it’s important, but it’s an entire different thing, no idea why the same name is used for heaphones).

Another upside of using a 3.5mm jack is compatibility, I can easily use these with a standard extension cable, which are in many cases nicer and softer than the stock cable.

The result is very nice, it’s discreet enough, and the Bluetooth/USB DAC+amp is so light you don’t notice it. I would love some ANC but that’s in the realm of impossible as far as modding goes.

Some process photos will follow.

Top Bottom