• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I upgrade

Kevbaz

Hi everyone,
My headphone system I use as my desktop/home setup was the below fo a good few years.

(MacBook + Qobuz)——low cost usb cable———-Chord Mojo——-Sennheiser HD660s

I recently swapped out the Mojo to a Hidizs S8 and couldn’t tell the difference between the Mojo and S8, might slightly prefer the S8 but I can’t say for sure.

(MacBook + Qobuz)——low cost usb cable———-Hidizs S8——-Sennheiser HD660s

I did this as a test as the S8 tested better by Amir from what I understand to the Mojo and I was pleasantly surprised to see it sounds at least as good as the Mojo in my setup.
The question is, is it worth me upgrading the DAC/headphone amp (Hidizs S8) to anything else given I cant really see any benefit to the more expensive Mojo vs the S8.
In this setup is the S8 as good as a dac/amp can be, I’m not unhappy with the sound just interested to know if I can improve anything.

Cheers
Kevin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,
My headphone system I use as my desktop/home setup was the below fo a good few years.

(MacBook + Qobuz)——low cost usb cable———-Chord Mojo——-Sennheiser HD660s

I recently swapped out the Mojo to a Hidizs S8 and couldn’t tell the difference between the Mojo and S8, might slightly prefer the S8 but I can’t say for sure.

(MacBook + Qobuz)——low cost usb cable———-Hidizs S8——-Sennheiser HD660s

I did this as a test as the S8 tested better by Amir from what I understand to the Mojo and I was pleasantly surprised to see it sounds at least as good as the Mojo in my setup.
The question is, is it worth me upgrading the DAC/headphone amp (Hidizs S8) to anything else given I cant really see any benefit to the more expensive Mojo vs the S8.
In this setup is the S8 as good as a dac/amp can be, I’m not unhappy with the sound just interested to know if I can improve anything.

Cheers
Kevin
You'll get far more from using some EQ at the Mac end than changing anything else.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

You'll get far more from using some EQ at the Mac end than changing anything else.
Thanks I will look into EQs I can use on the MacBook, it’s something new to me so I will need to read up :)
Cheers
Kevin

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

As long as it gets loud enough for you, keep what you have.
As I have mild tinnitus I listen at low volumes so the system can get more than loud enough for my needs.
Cheers
Kevin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks I will look into EQs I can use on the MacBook, it’s something new to me so I will need to read up :)
Cheers
Kevin

And then try the Oratory1990 settings for the Senns https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4isno09gt20ozf/Sennheiser HD660S.pdf?dl=0

But don't be afraid to modify those settings to taste

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, run EQ on the source. Keep the rest. Don't waste your money.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a word upgrading your DAC is likely to make no difference unless there is a problem with not enough volume.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Thanks everyone, sounds like the Hidizs S8 DAC is more than sufficient, just wish I’d not spent £400 around 4 years ago on the Chord Mojo. But it’s been a lesson to in future look at the measurements not the marketing and biased/sponsored reviews.
I grew up on the hi-hi magazines In the UK and have always fallen for the marketing, stupidly my background is electronic engineering so I should have listened to my brain not my ego of thinking the more you spend must mean it’s better.
It’s just so easy to get caught up with all the marketing, social media, and fancy looking boxes.
Very happy with my Hidizs S8 now, but still admit the Mojo looks cooler, maybe I just leave the mojo on my shelf switched on for the shine lights whilst listening to the S8

Top Bottom