• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I buy an AMP or a DAC/AMP in this case

Shayzer

Hey, I just got a FiiO K7 as Dac/Amp but I was wondering this :

• I have an UMC202HD, and since I would like to be able to monitor myself during vocals recording in my DAW, I use the Main OUTPUT L/R of 202HD (because 202HD does not have Line OUT) and plug it to Line IN of my FiiO K7. So when I use my DAW to record, I switch to "Line" mode on my FiiO K7, and when I just chill, play games, I switch back to "USB" mode on my Fiio K7.
The things I was wondering is, if the UMC202HD DAC is « OK » (like, do you thing that there is an audible difference vs K7?), should I just return the FiiO K7 and buy a Topping A30 Pro (so only an AMP and not a DAC/AMP) and use my UMC202HD as DAC, and also sound output for everything ?

What do you think ?

Thanks a lot for the help

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The UMC202HD does have line-output, it's the two 1/4" (6.3mm) "Outputs" on the back of the unit.

OP
S

Shayzer

The UMC202HD does have line-output, it's the two 1/4" (6.3mm) "Outputs" on the back of the unit.
Oups my bad, yeah they are Line Output, and this is where I've plugged my RCA to 6.35mm for the FiiO for when I use my DAW.

Do you think I should keep that so that I have a clean dac when I play/listen to music/chill, or go with a Topping A30 Pro ?

twsecrest

Oups my bad, yeah they are Line Output, and this is where I've plugged my RCA to 6.35mm for the FiiO for when I use my DAW.

Do you think I should keep that so that I have a clean dac when I play/listen to music/chill, or go with a Topping A30 Pro ?
Maybe connect the K7 directly (USB) to your computer, set the computer audio so audio goes out to the K7 and use the UMC202HD for audio input (recording).

raif71

Major Contributor
If it was me, I'd keep the Fiio K7 coz it has both dac/amp and in case I need one unit in the future for example traveling etc.

OP
S

Shayzer

Maybe connect the K7 directly (USB) to your computer, set the computer audio so audio goes out to the K7 and use the UMC202HD for audio input (recording).
The problem doing that is that I can’t monitor my voice since having the output different than the interface introduces a lot of latency :/

OP
S

Shayzer

If it was me, I'd keep the Fiio K7 coz it has both dac/amp and in case I need one unit in the future for example traveling etc.
Thanks a lot. Do you think that their would be a lot of difference between a real amp an the K7 Dac/Amp? Because right now I have far enough volume with the K7

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot. Do you think that their would be a lot of difference between a real amp an the K7 Dac/Amp? Because right now I have far enough volume with the K7
I have a Fiio K5 and volume wise, it is more than enough. I would expect the same with K7. I too have the A30pro and I believe both sound equally the same however both are in their respective boxes now. Too many gears. Occasionally I get them both out for a spin. :)

twsecrest

The problem doing that is that I can’t monitor my voice since having the output different than the interface introduces a lot of latency :/
Seem like it might just be better to connect the UMC202HD's line-output, to the line-input on the K7 (and not use the K7's DAC function).
What headphones or speakers do you current have or plan on buying?

OP
S

Shayzer

Seem like it might just be better to connect the UMC202HD's line-output, to the line-input on the K7 (and not use the K7's DAC function).
What headphones or speakers do you current have or plan on buying?
This is what I am doing yes, when I open my daw I just set the input to Line on my FiiO K7, and windows automatically switch to my UMC202HD as output. And when I stop recording, I go back to « USB » mode on my FiiO K7 and my computer goes back automatically to K7 DAC as output.

I was just wondering if I couldn’t get something better for 250€

I am using a pair of HD660S2 :)

OP
S

Shayzer

I have a Fiio K5 and volume wise, it is more than enough. I would expect the same with K7. I too have the A30pro and I believe both sound equally the same however both are in their respective boxes now. Too many gears. Occasionally I get them both out for a spin. :)
I think that the K7 for price performance is excellent

twsecrest

This is what I am doing yes, when I open my daw I just set the input to Line on my FiiO K7, and windows automatically switch to my UMC202HD as output. And when I stop recording, I go back to « USB » mode on my FiiO K7 and my computer goes back automatically to K7 DAC as output.

I was just wondering if I couldn’t get something better for 250€

I am using a pair of HD660S2 :)
Audio Interfaces (DAW) usually seem to come with a decent DAC function.
The K7's dual AK4493 DAC chips should be a better DAC function, than the UMC202HD.
What do your ears tell you, compare the sound of the UMC202HD's sound quality (DAC), vs the K7's sound quality (DAC).
Also maybe try getting a balanced cable for the HD660S2 and plug into the K7's balanced headphone jack?
Balanced cable for the HD660S2 start at around $30 (eBay).
Not sure I would by the Topping A30 Pro, to plug into the UMC202HD.

OP
S

Shayzer

Audio Interfaces (DAW) usually seem to come with a decent DAC function.
The K7's dual AK4493 DAC chips should be a better DAC function, than the UMC202HD.
What do your ears tell you, compare the sound of the UMC202HD's sound quality (DAC), vs the K7's sound quality (DAC).
Also maybe try getting a balanced cable for the HD660S2 and plug into the K7's balanced headphone jack?
Balanced cable for the HD660S2 start at around $30 (eBay).
Not sure I would by the Topping A30 Pro, to plug into the UMC202HD.
I already have a balanced cable, it’s included with the HD660s2.

Okey I will try to to an A/B comparison and if I can’t find a difference between the FiiO and UMC Dac, I might return the FiiO and buy and external amp.

Top Bottom