• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your best “bargain of my life” story.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Finding ASR and all you Smart fellas, and becoming a Member. For free if you don’t want to donate. The value is still accumulating. The cost savings since becoming a member are priceless. :cool:

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Putting aside gear that was given to me for free, I don't have anything close to what I'd describe as a bargain of a lifetime.

I feel I got a good deal when I got a pristine Adcom GFA-5400 power amp for $150. And I guess I got a pretty good deal when I bought a non-functioning Marantz 2230 in otherwise nice shape off Facebook Marketplace for $20 and got it fully restored for another $225 or so.

My experience has been more about excellent value for money - relatively affordable gear that performs very well and lasts for years or decades.

EDIT: @AdamG has the best answer!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend purchased a fully working pair of Quad ESL-63s at a police auction for $30. Which cost me because after hearing them I purchased a pair at far more than $30.

I purchased a pristine McIntosh MC240 and the matching MX110 tube preamp tuner at an estate sale for $200. I was about 30 seconds late to purchase a Marantz 8B and model 7 preamp for $100 at another estate sale. It was mounted in a custom cabinet and they were really selling the cabinet for $100. They thought the gear inside was worthless and hadn't even opened the door so no one knew it was there.

mmshah

Got a pair of non-meta KEF R3's for $337+tax in excellent open box condition they might as well have been mint.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Especially if they were stuffed with white powder and associated Vit ta mins……:oops: Bonus points if they are filled with cash and precious gems/metals.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about best-ever, but while staying at my mom's place, I've scored a current-model Sony boombox for $12 (USD), C. Crane CCRadio2e for $4, Hafler DH101 preamp for $7, and a fancy Zojirushi rice cooker for $12. Actually spotted the same model of Sony boombox on 3 different occasions, and at last sighting, it was $7.
_DSC3120-sm.jpg

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know about best-ever, but while staying at my mom's place, I've scored a current-model Sony boombox for $12 (USD), C. Crane CCRadio2e for $4, Hafler DH101 preamp for $7, and a fancy Zojirushi rice cooker for $12. Actually spotted the same model of Sony boombox on 3 different occasions, and at last sighting, it was $7.
View attachment 343616

Why are you lowballing your own mother

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I was selling HiFi back in the early aughts I had a customer trade in a McIntosh MX-118 AVP/Pre towards other gear. The shop I worked for didn't care about it and I ended up paying $200 for it. I later sold it for almost $2k on eBay.

It didn't do anything special besides the glowing glass front plate.

williamr

I bought all the back issues of Audio Amateur from the #1 to around whatever the latest issue # was around the year 1995 for less than a dollar an issue. Fascinating reading.

bargainguy

A decade ago, I was in a thrift store when I spotted a pair of black Ohm Walsh 4 speakers. I had a pair of Ohm G's with Walsh drivers in my youth, so I was familiar with the brand.

Each speaker had a price tag of $45. When it came to check out, the employee couldn't figure out whether the $45 price applied to each speaker or both, and it was so early there wasn't a manager on duty.

In the end, I proposed meeting the employee halfway at $65 for the pair. Done.

For 1996 technology, I'm still happy with the way they sound in my living room.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I once got a milling machine, worth about $15,000, for removing it from the manufacturing plant

Audio wise, I ordered a Sumiko Blue Point Special, it arrived, 2 days later a second arrived, with the same invoice number, I called them, they said they would get back to me, it been about 25-30 yrs, still no return call.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My wife.

For audio, I have to say my entire current system, which cost me a grand total of about $8,000 and sounds wonderful.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I once got a milling machine, worth about $15,000, for removing it from the manufacturing plant

Audio wise, I ordered a Sumiko Blue Point Special, it arrived, 2 days later a second arrived, with the same invoice number, I called them, they said they would get back to me, it been about 25-30 yrs, still no return call.
I a few years ago ordered one of those optical headphone jack adapters needed on Macbooks. Remember when the optical toslink was in the middle of the headphone jack. They sent me a bag of 500. I contacted them and they said shipping was too much for me to just keep them. Made me think the $2.89 I paid must have a lot of profit if they didn't want 500 returned to them.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My best audio bargain was my refurbished Denon X4500H I paid $900 for in 2020. It was basically new. It's been perfect for my 11.1ch system with 2 subs and I'll get many more years out of it.

Non-audio related, I scored a $12K Sharp multi-function color laser copier for $2k off-lease.

JohnnyAudio

Korg MS-10 analog synth 50$

Top Bottom