• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serving SACD and DVD-A on a Mac - possible?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir and Fitzcaraldo215 commented as follows on the thread about the new Panasonic video disk spinner:

My SACD discs are in storage and I have no need to play them. Ditto for DVD-A.

I have a huge SACD collection primarily in Mch, which is what I normally prefer to play. Fortunately, my SACDs are all ripped to my NAS by the thousands.

I assume Amir at least is not in the MacOS/iOS ecosystem. :)

Is it possible to do the same on a Mac running MacOS?

We have a “current” (late 2014) Mac mini that we use primarily as our music server. I am willing to buy and use special player software. We use iTunes for everything else, because our multi-room streaming set up is AirPlay. But there is no need to broadcast MCH throughout the house.

I do not want to buy new hardware or learn lots of computer code. I do have a Windows 10 PC and an external DVD drive I can use to rip media, though not for playback.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I run JRiver on a MacMini for multichannel music and, a bit, for video.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you get your multichannel SACDs and DVD-As onto the mini? Does JRiver just import them automatically (my ideal)?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How did you get your multichannel SACDs and DVD-As onto the mini? Does JRiver just import them automatically (my ideal)?
Yup. Where are they? (Mine are on a NAS.) Just tell JRiver where your files are.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. Not sure it's worth buying a new player just to get a little extra convenience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Hmm. Not sure it's worth buying a new player just to get a little extra convenience.
Just to be clear, JRiver is a software that would replace/supplement iTunes; not hardware.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be clear, JRiver is a software that would replace/supplement iTunes; not hardware.

Right, but if I'm reading everyone right there is a new piece of hardware - game console or a disk transport I don't have - required to import disks to the software.

Guermantes

Yes, if your DSD content is currently residing on SACDs, then you will need extra, specific hardware to rip them.

There are DSD music downloads available for purchase from various online stores but I think the majority are two-channel only.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes, if your DSD content is currently residing on SACDs, then you will need extra, specific hardware to rip them.
Yes. You need an old PS3 or one of several Oppo, Pioneer, Sony, etc. universal players to rip (convert from disc to file) the tracks. All of those items are available used at "reasonable" prices.

There are DSD music downloads available for purchase from various online stores but I think the majority are two-channel only.
??? I download MCH DSD exclusively and on a regular basis.

chelgrian

Does it work on a Mac?

It requires an early model PS3 or one of a select few Blu-ray players, the gui which just remote controls a bit of software running on the PS3 or the that the Blu-ray player has been tricked in to running can be compiled and run on a Mac.

Top Bottom