• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midguard just died and the blue smoke escaped

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ couldn't hurt to ask, right?
One is most curious. Perhaps (just perhaps) they are, as well.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last update (I hope).

Shipped the dead Midgard to Schiit on Tuesday and received the replacement today. FedEx said it would be delivered yesterday, but they always have a one day delay in Cypress, TX.

The new unit is working great. I would call that fantastic customer service by Schiit.

Cammy

I have a Midgard unit here I'm troubleshooting, let out smoke. Although the amplifier works on RCA input.

The opamps for the XLR differential conversion to single ended seem to be cooked because the XLR input works although indisposed, if I remove those opamps.

I have a Midgard unit here I'm troubleshooting, let out smoke. Although the amplifier works on RCA input.

The opamps for the XLR differential conversion to single ended seem to be cooked because the XLR input works although indisposed, if I remove those opamps.
Contact Schiit for an RMA. They have some of the best customer service known to man.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would advise checking the supply voltages (it goes without saying that running out of spec is not healthy for any opamp) and whether one of the opamps may be running into a dead short or the diff/SE converter has lost its ground reference (e.g. bad / corroded via). A smidge of reverse-engineering may be necessary, although it shouldn't be hard... balanced receivers aren't exactly rocket science.

Cammy

Call and ask, and see if the response matches the real world. For me, I have been using Schiit gear for some time now with zero issues.
It's a review unit, so I'm not concerned about getting a new one or what they say, they are sending out a new one, but I'm finding out what's wrong with it myself so other people and then schiit themselves can know if there's an issue.

Cammy

I would advise checking the supply voltages (it goes without saying that running out of spec is not healthy for any opamp) and whether one of the opamps may be running into a dead short or the diff/SE converter has lost its ground reference (e.g. bad / corroded via). A smidge of reverse-engineering may be necessary, although it shouldn't be hard... balanced receivers aren't exactly rocket science.
The opamp is a OP1656, I measured 15.5v on both rails.

Attachments

• 1000002067.jpg
    1000002067.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 12

Cammy

Bingo, I set up the scope on the rails and the -15v is fluctuating, dropping to 0.5v for long periods of time. I guess it was a fluke i got the correct reading when measuring the rails with just the meter. Rookie mistake. 79M15G voltage reg blown most likely

Salt

Forum Donor
What about autopsy/fault findings?
Last update (I hope).

Shipped the dead Midgard to Schiit on Tuesday and received the replacement today. FedEx said it would be delivered yesterday, but they always have a one day delay in Cypress, TX.

The new unit is working great. I would call that fantastic customer service by Schiit.

DMill

Forum Donor
It warms my heart to hear of great customer service. it’s worth a few extra bucks for sure when buying your next ”thing” in my opinion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It warms my heart to hear of great customer service. it’s worth a few extra bucks for sure when buying your next ”thing” in my opinion.
I had confirmation of shipment from shipper/Schiit ~<2 hours after placing the order. It was in my hands over a long weekend in short time. There was a steady but not repeating flow of informative emails so I understood the delivery schedule. I placed a JDS Labs order within 10 minutes of the Schiit order and they both had product to me fast and efficient.

Top Bottom