• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salk Silk vs Revel M126be: How do they compare?

shawndo

Forum Donor
I've had a pair of Salk Silks, SVS 12s (400w sealed) and a minidsp dirac system for 100% music for about 7 years now.
Lately I've been more interested in the measurements and scientific approach that JBL/Revel take.
Unfortunately the Silks don't really have a lot of documentation out there regarding measurements.

Now really want to try something else in the same pricing-league except that is very well understood and measured.

Before i pull the trigger on the m126be's, does anyone have any experience about what the differences might be? is it worth the change?
(although I wont get rid of the silks. they would just go to the bedroom or something) Also, anything else I should consider?

I'm not too worried about different bass response since I have the 2x subs and will be high-passing anyway.

I listen about 15ft/4.5m away at @85db

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had a pair of Salk Silks, SVS 12s (400w sealed) and a minidsp dirac system for 100% music for about 7 years now.
Lately I've been more interested in the measurements and scientific approach that JBL/Revel take.
Unfortunately the Silks don't really have a lot of documentation out there regarding measurements.

Now really want to try something else in the same pricing-league except that is very well understood and measured.

Before i pull the trigger on the m126be's, does anyone have any experience about what the differences might be? is it worth the change?
(although I wont get rid of the silks. they would just go to the bedroom or something) Also, anything else I should consider?

I'm not too worried about different bass response since I have the 2x subs and will be high-passing anyway.

Salk publishes measurements on the Silk. It looks to be ruler flat. A casual Google search and it looks like Audioholics named them “One of the best speakers in the world.” What additional measurements do you want? I’ve not heard them, but my guess is they are absolutely stunning in both looks and performance based on what’s out there. I have heard the Revel m126s. They are spectacular In every way Id evaluate a speaker. My guess is that any preference for one or the other will be a subjective one and we then fall into the trap of the dark science of audio, where both are nearly perfect objectively. That said, the only way to know is to pull the trigger on the Revels and give them a try in your space. If I were in your place, where I want to try something different, but clearly have the money and desire for perfection, I might go another route. Have you considered active monitors? There really isn’t any reason to think they would be more to you liking than the Salks or Revels paired with a good amp, but perhaps they’d be different enough? You are in an enviable position to compare the best of the best no matter your decision.

DMill

Forum Donor
I was mainly interested in the vertical and horizontal dispersion measurements.
Makes sense. I’m not finding that info easily either. You could try to reach out to Salk or send to Amir If you really must know. Those Salks really are a nice pair of speakers though… I gotta say.

OP
shawndo

shawndo

Forum Donor
Those Salks really are a nice pair of speakers though… I gotta say.
They are forever speakers for me for sure. they came out really nice and even made it to the Salk photo gallery for Silks. I’d love to have them measured.

IMG_0152.jpeg

jonfitch

Ive had both, the Silks have a lot more bass slam. Revel bookshelf speakers are really designed for home theater and crossing over with a sub. But since you have a pair of subs you probably wont notice the difference with a 80hz crossover.

The Silks have wider dispersion and also a bigger image on axis, whereas the Revels tend to sound like they have a deeper soundstage since the output rolls off more rapidly off axis vs the RAALs, this also makes them sound a little more diffuse. Much better vertical dispersion on the Revels so they will sound more consistent in room, theres no dropoff when you stand up or sit down. Again, more useful in an HT environment. If you sit in 1 spot all the time you might not notice.

Look at buying from crutchfield, they only charge return shipping if you arent happy with them.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
They are forever speakers for me for sure. they came out really nice and even made it to the Salk photo gallery for Silks. I’d love to have them measured.

View attachment 296365
Dennis Murphy does most/all of Jim's XO design and voicing. While I've never asked directly, I suspect that Jim would have said they share the same ideals. For Dennis, more specifically, he voices his Speakers to be as neutral as possible and prefers wide or very-wide dispersion.
If I had to guess without looking it up, its a Scan Speak Woofer and a Raal 70-20?
Raals are not known for their vertical off-axis performance. If you wanted to increase the vertical dispersion you would need to get some of those foam blocks and decrease the vertical size of the ribbon (so to speak.) Jim sent me the ones that come with the 70-10 for my Speakers and had even recommended placement positions for increasing the vertical dispersion if I were so inclined. (I wasn't.)
In general, Raals seem to behave well within ±10º vertical axis but not beyond. Horizontal, you are probably looking at close to ±80-90º of high quality dispersion.

For measurements of any 64-10 Raal, you can reference any of the BMR Monitor or BMR Tower reviews to see how they perform. The 70-10 will be more limited in the vertical, slightly, and the 70-20 will drop off a little in the horizontal. but Raals are well known for their SQ and just short of a very high end Be Tweet, not much seems to challenge them.
That said, depending on the size of the Be Dome, and any use of a wave guide, your dispersion characteristic will be different.

If you like Dennis' styling, switching to another Tweet may be surprising. (Good or bad?... will depend on your preferences. ;) ) But when I heard the Salk SS9.5s a few years back with the Satori Be Tweet, compared to my 70-10 Raals, there was very little difference in SQ. Perhaps best described as a distillation in the 9.5 vs my Philharmonic Phil 3s which Jim built.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
This is a very old design and I don't think I have the files anymore. I can say that, as has been suggested, the Silk will have deeper bass extension (pretty extraordinary for the size) and the treble will be a bit more diffuse--that's a sonic signature of the RAAL's, even though in this case the 70-20 will be more directional than the thinner 64-10. The vertical dispersion of the 70-20 will be a tiny bit narrower than the 64-10 simply because the ribbon is a little longer. But I don't think this is an issue in either case unless you plan on listening standing up near the speaker. Which speaker (the Revel or the Silk) is "better"? With a sub, I wouldn't have a clue. Running alone, the extra bass of the Silk might tip the balance.

Last edited:

JLGF1

So, if focusing on measurements, the Revel m126Be is considered to measure well? BTW, the Ascend Sierra EX also uses the RAAL (64-10) ribbon tweeter.

Ascend Sierra EX V2 vs Revel M126Be.jpg

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if focusing on measurements, the Revel m126Be is considered to measure well? BTW, the Ascend Sierra EX also uses the RAAL (64-10) ribbon tweeter.

View attachment 296649

Not quite as easy to compare, but Erins YouTube channel has more comprehensive m126Be data.
Due to performance per $, I doubt I would buy a m126Be unless you're trying to expand on an existing Be multichannel setup. I had them, and liked them very much, but they're simply too expensive. That said, Revel dealer margins seem to be massive and I would not advise anyone pay street price.

JLGF1

With ASR-type measurements readily at hand, I'm struggling to understand the logic of going with the $4400 pair vs mid $1500's that measure arguably as well, if not better. Perhaps I don't understand all the nuances of the measurements (there are other measurement factors, of course, besides what is shown here; dispersion, etc).

Revel M106 vs m126Be.jpg

Last edited:
OP
shawndo

shawndo

Forum Donor
I think its mainly all the talk about beryllium tweeters that makes me want to try/have a pair. Also, revel's so hot right now. But I am leaning towards just staying with what i have right now and work more on placement and treatments instead. Then again, I do have an extra integrated amp for my bedroom that needs some speakers...

tw 2022

I'm pretty sure that's a Dennis Murphy crossover design, it should be pretty good....

Top Bottom