• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Safe' volume level

square.

Hello ASR,

Today I am creating this post because something has been bothering me lately.

From the world health organization, we have that safe listening levels for headphones is between 60-85db

So why do my ears hurt and get fatigued at 55-65db? Every time? I'm 19 years old, maybe its to do with age?

Does anyone else have the same problem? I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what may be happening to my ears or if they have experience something similar.

On my RME ADI 2 FS dac, I'm using low-power mode, auto reference level off for my audeze lcd-1. Anything higher than "-50dB" starts to irritate my ears. For example, I can comfortably listen at -40db, but when I pause the music my ears are ringing because of the volume. Why though? Its perfectly within the safe listening levels.

Thanks,
Square

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR,

From the world health organization, we have that safe listening levels for headphones is between 60-85db

So why do my ears hurt and get fatigued at 55-65db? Every time? I'm 19 years old, maybe its to do with age?

Does anyone else have the same problem? I would like to hear peoples thoughts on what may be happening to my ears or if they have experience something similar.

On my RME ADI 2 FS dac, I'm using low-power mode, auto reference level off for my audeze lcd-1. Anything higher than -50dB starts to irritate my ears. Why though? Its perfectly within the safe listening levels.

Thanks,
Square
How do you measure the SPL on your headphones?

F

freemansteve

At that low volume, you must be listening to the wrong music :)
Or the phones are too brash...
Try some nice speakers with subs - you don't need to spend a lot.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ASR,

On my RME ADI 2 FS dac, I'm using low-power mode, auto reference level off for my audeze lcd-1. Anything higher than "-50dB" starts to irritate my ears. For example, I can comfortably listen at -40db, but when I pause the music my ears are ringing because of the volume. Why though? Its perfectly within the safe listening levels.

Thanks,
Square
What are you using as source? I found that Spotify and the old Apple Music gave me fatigue very quickly.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some very rough estimates ...

The sensitivity of LCD-1 is rated at 99 dB/1 mW. The RME, in my estimation, may be able to drive the LCD-1 to >130 dB at full output (1 W into 16 ohms). So, at -50 dB volume setting, you can easily be listening to >80 dB SPL.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Anything higher than -50dB...
Is that minus 50dB? That would be a digital or electrical level, not an acoustic SPL level. The 0dB digital level (0dBFS = zero decibels full scale) is the "digital maximum" (for integer formats) so digital dB levels are normally negative. The acoustic reference of 0dB SPL (sound pressure level) is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and acoustic levels are positive.

There is a correlation but no standard calibration. If you reduce the digital level by 10dB (more negative) the SPL also drops by 10dB.

OP
S

square.

Some very rough estimates ...

The sensitivity of LCD-1 is rated at 99 dB/1 mW. The RME, in my estimation, may be able to drive the LCD-1 to >130 dB at full output (1 W into 16 ohms). So, at -50 dB volume setting, you can easily be listening to >80 dB SPL.
I am using low power mode, which means the maximum output is not 1 Watt. Very good to know though, thanks.

I think with hi-power enabled I get about 30db more of headroom.
So for low-power mode we have 130-30 = 100 max SPL, therefore -50db would be 50db SPL?
Again, rough estimation here.

OP
S

square.

At that low volume, you must be listening to the wrong music :)
Or the phones are too brash...
Try some nice speakers with subs - you don't need to spend a lot.
I have stereo speakers, and I can very comfortably listen at 60-70db with no fatigue. Its only headphones. Both my 2 headphones and iems make my ears hurt at 60-70db

OP
S

square.

Is that minus 50dB? That would be a digital or electrical level, not an acoustic SPL level. The 0dB digital level (0dBFS = zero decibels full scale) is the "digital maximum" (for integer formats) so digital dB levels are normally negative. The acoustic reference of 0dB SPL (sound pressure level) is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and acoustic levels are positive.

There is a correlation but no standard calibration. If you reduce the digital level by 10dB (more negative) the SPL also drops by 10dB.
Yes, its minus 50db. The dac's loudest setting is 0dB

OP
S

square.

If your ears hurt, turn it down. Recommendations/guidelines are just that. Your body should always have the final word.
Yep makes sense. It must just be my ears and headphones that dont go well together at high volumes. With speakers its not a problem

F

freemansteve

Methinks you have no way to tell, accurately, the SPL at your ear!
Or, seriously, maybe you have an ear problem and should get it checked?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The dac tells me on the screen
That’s the signal level relative to the maximum, i.e. dBFS. Your ears are affected by dBSPL. dB is simply a relative value, a multiplier (positive values) or divider (negative values), it doesn’t mean anything without knowing in what context it is used.

The display is showing a percentage value where 0dB equals 100% of full scale digital level.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have stereo speakers, and I can very comfortably listen at 60-70db with no fatigue.

Play the speakers at your comfortable level.

With the speakers playing, adjust the volume of the headphones only (if you can) so that as you put them on and take them off there is no significant change in the perceived volume.

Do you still find discomfort with the headphones?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Methinks you have no way to tell, accurately, the SPL at your ear!
Not accurately but a free SPL app and a mobile phone hold against the headphone cap will give an indicator of the SPL.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not accurately but a free SPL app and a mobile phone hold against the headphone cap will give an indicator of the SPL.
I do this on the back of open headphones whilst listening, it feels surprisingly accurate compared to speakers measured with a calibrated mic.

OP
S

square.

Maybe I just have tinnitus from a rave I went to where I stood directly by the speaker for about 2 hours drunk out of my mind and thats impacting how my ears are reacting to volume lol

Top Bottom