• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Running speaker cables alongside power

Chester

Hi

I did search for an answer before posting but could not see anything on this (with the search terms I used, at least).

I am in the process of having an extension and remodel done. I want to run some AWG 12 speaker cable in the ceiling while it’s still open. The electricians have already drilled holes through the joists and run power cable through them for overhead lighting.

Can I run my speaker cable in parallel through these same holes or will it result in interference. The run will be about 10-12 metres and I’m in the UK (in case it matters)

I only have one shot to do this so need to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It won't be Code hi and low voltage together. possible shock or fire hazard. Its easy to drill holes. Get I bit with auger on the front

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You shouldn't get interference. There might be some very unusual case where some energy gets fed-back into the amplifier but you can't pick-up enough energy to get sound out of a (passive) speaker without a direct connection.

I don't know that much about electrical codes, and I live in the U.S., but here it's OK if insulated low-voltage and power-wires "touch" each other inside walls, etc. But you can't mix power with anything else in an electrical box (unless there is a divided compartment).

It's probably NOT OK to run through the same holes in a joist, but if your electrician is still around you can ask him/her.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Chester

Chester

Thanks both. Every time I ask him something it seems to end up costing me money :)

I will drill some additional holes a few inches away.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will drill some additional holes a few inches away.
And because the cable is smaller you can use a smaller bit which is easier and faster.
Edit: high above the dry wall screw depth

Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That article refers to running cables in conduit. Conduit is not used in domestic housing construction. I’m sure the OP was suggesting just dangling the audio alongside the AC wiring in-wall.
If you have access to the joists I also would suggest separate holes for speaker wires or any low voltage wiring from the AC.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Anything safe for your hand to touch is safe for your other cable to touch.

Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anything safe for your hand to touch is safe for your other cable to touch.

Maybe replace "hand" with "gonad" to bring the message across better.
I think the OP was worried about induced noise from the AC. Responders like me and Timster brought up safety.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

While it can be done without much in the way of audible issues, it is not recommended. There exists the risk of the high voltage (220 V) inducing some current in the low voltage circuit.
As for audible issues... unlikely, but ... Safety first.

Peace.

Top Bottom