• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roger Waters...what the he##....?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But it is getting harder to separate the artist from their art these days.

I guess it's only natural to want to find out more about the person behind the performance. And then when we do, we judge the person, not the art we were attracted to in the first place.

I just wish artists in general would let their art do the talking, reap the benefits and stay out of public discussion altogether. But, they can't help themselves- look at Bono from U2. :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

oceansize

Forum Donor
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his intervention wasn't spurred by Gilmour and Mason reactivating the Pink Floyd brand earlier in the year in support of Ukraine.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Roger Waters has been a notorious human sack of garbage for the extent of my living memory
Depends on whether you like what he’s saying or not. I tend to agree with you though.
But, they can't help themselves- look at Bono from U2
I look at something like Paul Simons Graceland as having a profound statement through music rather than standing on a soapbox. I’ve seen them both live a couple times. Simons album was very controversial If you recall, but it was a pretty brilliant statement of walking the walk through music. Both times I saw him he didn’t get too preachy. Just let his songs play and take from them what you want. Bono can be preachy, like it or not.

Triliza

Forum Donor
The big problem for me with his view is that in a way he is making justification for the war (for the Russian side) and making it seems as something that couldn't be avoided. His point of view make some sense generally speaking, but by no means don't justify the war and the suffering it is causing to millions of people.

Anyway, this is a sad story as it is, and people, famous or not, should think more before uttering whatever comes in their mind.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The big problem for me with his view is that in a way he is making justification for the war (for the Russian side) and making it seems as something that couldn't be avoided. His point of view make some sense generally speaking, but by no means don't justify the war and the suffering it is causing to millions of people.

Anyway, this is a sad story as it is, and people, famous or not, should think more before uttering whatever comes in their mind.
Don't worry; he sent an open letter to Madam Zelenskyy, urging her to capitulate. The war is as good as over.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a difference a few months make.

Well, reading his letter, I don't see how different it is than his early statement against war.

And it seems pretty right to me.

Whatever the origin of a war, you can't stop a war by throwing more weapons from the outside.

And the US (and EU) politicians stated they want war to last as long as possible to ""defeat Russia".
Which will not happen.

The only defeated ones will be the Ukrainian population, the russian convicts and, to some extent, population, and, as a consequence of EU politic, the whole European population.
Not to speak of the risks for everyone worldwide.

War is NEVER good
(but for some people that get profits from it and are doing it from a remote, safe, location)
and should be stopped by ALL parties ASAP
(which never was a synonymous to capitulation).

That's my point of view.
It seems it's also Roger Waters'
And he's acting accordingly.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wish artists in general would let their art do the talking, reap the benefits and stay out of public discussion altogether.
In many cases, their art IS part of a public discussion. Pink Floyd could not exist otherwise. Animals, The Final Cut, The Wall... these are all political pieces.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In many cases, their art IS part of a public discussion. Pink Floyd could not exist otherwise. Animals, The Final Cut, The Wall... these are all political pieces.

Absolutely, I agree. I just wish the music was their primary/sole outlet. The lyrics and the message told through song. We had a great band here in Australia. Midnight Oil. I grew up going to their live gigs, watch them go from totally underground pub-scene to mainstream and then even overseas.

Their music was totally political, full of issues and wonderfully written. But we didn't hear from the band members much. Their private lives were just that and their views stayed with their already powerful songs. We didn't know the men themselves and really didn't want to. We loved their music.

Then the lead singer (Peter Garrett) ran for parliament, got elected and the rest is history. His legacy in music is way more respected than his time in parliament where he presided over some disastrous programs.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I know what this was about just from the title.

You really have two choices:

either cut these artists from your listening routine

or

learn to separate the music from the artist

to me there's no doubt Eric Clapton is one of the greatest of all time... greatest what? you decide.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You really have two choices:

either cut these artists from your listening routine

or

learn to separate the music from the artist

I think we've all 'paused' listening to artists when things came to light that shocked/dismayed us. But the music lives on and when it is linked to particularly important and influencial times of our lives (and loves) it ultimately triumphs. (in my experience anyway)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, reading his letter, I don't see how different it is than his early statement against war.

And it seems pretty right to me.

Whatever the origin of a war, you can't stop a war by throwing more weapons from the outside.

And the US (and EU) politicians stated they want war to last as long as possible to ""defeat Russia".
Which will not happen.

The only defeated ones will be the Ukrainian population, the russian convicts and, to some extent, population, and, as a consequence of EU politic, the whole European population.
Not to speak of the risks for everyone worldwide.

War is NEVER good
(but for some people that get profits from it and are doing it from a remote, safe, location)
and should be stopped by ALL parties ASAP
(which never was a synonymous to capitulation).

That's my point of view.
It seems it's also Roger Waters'
And he's acting accordingly.

I'm sure his letter will get all the consideration it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom