• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roger Waters...what the he##....?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone read history? I recall Poland was invaded a few times...
Yeah. They aren't real crazy about Russian invasion. It's a narrow-minded viewpoint, but there you are.

markanini

Major Contributor
Yeah. They aren't real crazy about Russian invasion. It's a arrow minded viewpoint, but there you are.
I guess in their mind being open minded is not a luxury to have at this time? A very eastern European move but not surprising or conceptually outrageous.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Waters has got form for being a total dick, no surprise given his outbursts over the years

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Waters has got form for being a total dick, no surprise given his outbursts over the years
I was at his show in Vegas a long time ago when he voiced ethnic slurs to more than one ethnicity from the stage, including mine. Unapologetic A**HOLE.

markanini

Major Contributor
What a difference a few months make.

The way I read it his objections was the disregard to regular people getting cought up in the war, and the financial incentives of the upper strata behind it. Or somwething along those lines.

And CNN and Rolling Stone writes their stories for sensational effect, I don't read them as gospel.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Not saying it is right, but why does anyone expect musicians or actors or *insert famous type* to have educated or nuanced views on these matters. The famous are put on too much of a pedestal. They are usually, beyond their specific talents, quite average people with all the flaws that comes with that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not saying it is right, but why does anyone expect musicians or actors or *insert famous type* to have educated or nuanced views on these matters. The famous are put on too much of a pedestal. They are usually, beyond their specific talents, quite average people with all the flaws that comes with that.
I daresay most are far more dissipated then I ever will achieve,

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you are a famous person or artist or "placeholder-for-any-person-capable-of-influencing-lives" you must realize that you made a contract with Society: You will have certain privileges and you may (or not) be upheld to certain view or standards... Your privileges do come with exigences... Whether you admit it or not.

Don't know much about the person myself but...

Peace.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because their professions usually entails travel and exposure to different cultures, beyond that of the average person who has never had that opportunity. The fact that they don't evolve is an opportunity squandered. So, one's expectation of a traveled artist can reasonably be greater than for a luddite who has never left the village... "just one more brick in the wall".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most people will express their views if given an attentive audience, so it's not surprising celebrities do that.

Digby

Major Contributor
When you are a famous person or artist or "placeholder-for-any-person-capable-of-influencing-lives" you must realize that you made a contract with Society: You will have certain privileges and you may (or not) be upheld to certain view or standards... Your privileges do come with exigences... Whether you admit it or not.
A contract with society? I dunno about that. He got lucky (along with his skill) playing music and is among the wealthiest musicians around. Privileges...okay, wealth, but still, what makes these peoples view special, other than they are well known and wealthy.

Sure, hold people accountable for their views, but why expect more out of Roger Waters than you would expect from some pub musician. He isn't a scholar or philosopher, he is a musician. He is better than the pub musician, but at being a musician, and perhaps nothing else.

Because their professions usually entails travel and exposure to different cultures, beyond that of the average person who has never had that opportunity.
I don't agree - taking drugs and drink with people from different nations around the world isn't what I would call exposure to different cultures. I don't think doing this kind of thing opens people up more to the cultures of other people, not more so than staying at home and borrowing some books from the library about different peoples of the world.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had no use for that twatwaffle since what he did (tried to do) to Richard Wright. He is certainly showing his true colours.

sernikus

One of my absolute favourite artists, both as a solo artist, and in Pink Floyd. But this..
His shows are now cancelled in Poland. I fully understand why. Read this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/25/entertainment/pink-floyd-roger-waters-poland-ukraine/index.html
he doesn't know what he's talking about - but that's no excuse. It is as if Churchill said: let us surrender to Hitler, because there will be a slaughter ... first he should learn at least a little about the history - not only of his family ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A contract with society? I dunno about that. He got lucky (along with his skill) playing music and is among the wealthiest musicians around. Privileges...okay, wealth, but still, what makes these peoples view special, other than they are well known and wealthy.
<snip>
One wins the lottery by sheer luck... you still have dues to be paid on it ... Lucky yes, Taxes.. Yes too.
Let's not delude ourselves thinking that famous people views and voices don't carry further and have more weight that those of others. The voice of the last Nobel laureate in Literature is less heard than that of ..gasp... Kim Kardishian ...:( ( I know, a sad commentary of our societies.)..
Just living among people is a social contract. You abide to Society laws or you pay the consequences.
Some things are implicit.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom