• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME changes DAC-chip

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Is the ESS revision a downgraded ADI-2 DAC FS? Well, there is nothing in my data showing that it could be the case. We saw that AKM may tend to have better Jitter rejection, or negligibly lower THD+N at some volumes, while the ESS shown to be more competent dealing with noise floor, crosstalk, or when pushed around maximum output levels. Not that anybody should care, considering the degree of transparency that is in question. In short, it has been an accomplished design from the start, and it still is by today. So, here are my two cents: if you order a brand new ADI-2 DAC FS, you don't have to feel fooled. If you buy a used one with AK4493, you will be perfectly fine either.

Needed to do this work on my own reconnaissance!

1. I Just purchased a lightly used ADI-2 DAC FS with the ESS chip.
1b. I have owned an ADI-2 DAC FS (4493) which now resides in one of my friend's stereo system (he is just bowled how good that small box sounds awesome).
2. I also currently own an ADI-2 Pro FS BE.

I needed a second unit and was stuck on the 4493 chipset, thinking that what I owned was the best because I like it so much.
But picked up an ESS unit thinking that hey, this will be interesting to compare the two on my own "subjective" terms. Not a double blind test for sure, I am informing you.

Before I report what I report, the ESS unit via the headphone out plays louder by 2 db compared to my AKM 4493 Pro unit. I am not sure if I have the PRO properly configured, but that is one thing I note in my testing. All features are off; Filter is SD Sharp when in PCM, but grey'ed out when in DSD.
I'm connected via USB from my MacBook Pro and running Audirvana. Testing is mostly with DSD 64 & 128.

And...well....I went back and forth....thinking that maybe AKM was better because that is what I originally own....then thinking the ESS unit offers up more detailed in the midrange....then thinking one is more sibilant when in fact the material is reproduced as intended on both units; going back and forth as others have done.

This is my conclusion: they both sound great and I will keep them both for my two music systems. I may need a third unit for my dedicated office work and would probably save up my $$ and get the newer 2/4 Pro SE just to be progressive and all. LoL

There is a lot of good work here on ASR, and you know who you are! Thank you.

So, you measured a 2dB difference by ear but maybe the configurations were not equivalent to begin with?

That makes my head spin. :)
There is certainly a volume difference between the two units via my headphones. I could not account for it as much as I went through the menu system and settings. These are of course subjective observations from the seat of my pants. I do appreciate all the contributions from the "technically enlightened" with proper setups, test instruments, software and procedures to produce these detailed (awesome) reports.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is certainly a volume difference between the two units via my headphones. I could not account for it as much as I went through the menu system and settings. These are of course subjective observations from the seat of my pants. I do appreciate all the contributions from the "technically enlightened" with proper setups, test instruments, software and procedures to produce these detailed (awesome) reports.
You run dsd native into the akm pro version.and dsd converted to pc into the ESS dac?

The ESS is quiter? Might be wrong but think the conversion lowers the levels.

You run dsd native into the akm pro version.and dsd converted to pc into the ESS dac?

The ESS is quiter? Might be wrong but think the conversion lowers the levels.
I run DSD from Audirvana via USB into the DACS. They were responding differently and it may be some settings that needed more tuning. I'll investigate more in the future. But as of this writing, I was listening to the ESS unit in my living room tonight and it just sounds great which is all I can wish for.

Top Bottom