• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

risk of running a DAC/preamp "flat out" long term?

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I have both a Lyngdorf DPA-1 digital preamp (with RoomPerfect) and a RME ADI-2 PRO FS R DAC. I have tried various indivudual/series combinations of uses for them. What I would like to try is running the DPA-1 flat out (digital volume at unity) with it's digital out driving the RME. That way I can use roomperfect, as well as the RME as a DAC and be able to use it's loudness control which I have grown to like as well as monitor program and output levels well. However, the DPA-1's analog outputs, now unused, may be then be driven to high levels all of the time. What are the risks of this? The RCAs do not like being driven to 0dBFS too much going by some measurements of mine but the XLRs are OK (in fact, I think the RCAs are OK as long as the XLRs are not connected). Would it be better in the long term to run the DPA-1 at a lower -10dB attenuation to protect the analog outputs long term?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think it would be a problem.

Even with compressed music the average level is probably -10 dbFS with only peaks approaching max. So not like it is slammed at max all the time. There are various kinds of gear like mixers and recording interfaces where some of the outputs are run pretty much wide open always, and never heard anyone be concerned with it.

Looking in the manual I notice you can set the analog outs to use as cross over filters. I suppose you could set one to low pass at a very low frequency, and one to high pass at a very high frequency. Assuming setting this has no effects on the signal elsewhere like the digital outputs. Or maybe set them all with high pass filters at 400 hz if that is possible. That reduces the signal sent across those outputs.

OP
dougi

dougi

Thanks #Blumlein 88. The digital out has to follow one of the analog outs in terms of function. At least this reminded me that yes I could filter or attenuate the other output heavily. Given my amps sensitivity is +8dBu and RME can produce up to +24dBu, even if I reduce the wanted digiital output a bit (say 6dB) this would give me enough headroom to drive the amp to max on lower level program and protect the DPA-1 output stage enough I think, while still being able to use the dynamic loudness of the RME and monitor program and output levels OK.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
dougi

dougi

Hi.

You may be the only person ever to worry about this.

So...
Point taken Ray, hopefully the right one: Don't worry, be happy.

Top Bottom