• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW measurement: connecting the equipment

vco1

I've got a UMIK-1 and am ready to do some measurements with REW. The distance between my dac and listening position is substantial though: approx. 6,5m or 21ft.

What would be the best way of connecting the computer (a Macbook Pro) running REW and the UMIK-1 to the DAC? The DAC is a topping DX7Pro with BT.

- Using bluetooth to connect the laptop running REW to the DAC using AptX;
- Using a USB active extension between the laptop and DAC;
- Using a USB active extension between the UMIK-1 and laptop.

Or something else?

Pros and cons of each solution?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Either version using an active extension would work. You can try AptX, but I don't think it will work well. Haven't tried it myself.

You could get two active extensions for maximum flexibility.

One disadvantage if you put the Mac close to the speakers is you'll be close to them while running this. Might slightly alter results and you have to listen to the sweeps at higher level.

So I'd put my Mac at the listening position or further. Use an active extension(s) as needed from there.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am in a more or less similar situation. I have the UMIK-1 on a tripod at my listening position, then the microphone usb cable to my laptop on a low table a bit closer to the DAC, and then a long usb cable to the DAC. I have no problems. In principle you could have a 5 meter long usb cable from the mic to the computer, and another 5 meter usb cable from the computer to the DAC.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is your Macbook one of the models with mini toslink built into the audio sockets?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I place the MacBook Pro near the listening position with the UMIK 1 USB connected to the USB-C port on MBP and use a Thunderbolt hub for the 15' USB cable from the RME ADI-2 DAC or a 15' HDMI cable to the Denon 4700. This works no matter which unit is being measured.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
According to the specs at least one of my macbooks should have such a port.
I thought toslink might be a cheaper option than an active USB cable, but they're cheaper than I thought so there's not a lot of difference.

jhenderson0107

If you have another computer available, position the macbook conveniently near the measurement equipment and use VNC or RDP to connect to the macbook from another room during measurements. Easier on the ears.

OP
V

vco1

Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't something I'd thought about. Costwise there's not a lot of difference as you say.

Top Bottom