• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sony HAP-S1 Streamer/Server

ousi

Now you understand why I only use it as a streamer. In some recent-ish FW upgrade you can use the USB output for external DAC. Had been running it like that for as long as I remember. The only good thing about this device is it is good looking and it is easy to use. And I put a 2TB HDD into it.

Bosshog

Now you understand why I only use it as a streamer. In some recent-ish FW upgrade you can use the USB output for external DAC. Had been running it like that for as long as I remember. The only good thing about this device is it is good looking and it is easy to use. And I put a 2TB HDD into it.
I literally signed up to this forum solely for the purpose of responding to your post. I can't believe what I am reading here...I realize this is a techy forum but still, come on. I have owned the HAP-S1 for 5 years and the audio quality is superb. You can clearly hear the difference between DSD, MP3 and semi-lossless files. If I were to have any complaints about the unit it would only be the tedious, slow software that comes with it for transferring music.

I am using the HAP-S1 as the primary source for all my stored music for 2 channel listening in my man-cave. I have it connected to a Yamaha AS-2100 amp (Zu Audio Mission interconnects) and Focal 906 speakers (Zu Audio Libtec speaker cable). The DAC on the Sony is superior to many others I have used and overall I have been very happy with the unit for the last 5 years. My only real gripe is it does not support streaming of Tidal and limited to Spotify which I still use on occasion since I have an account for my family.

I also have a background in tech as I have worked the last 25 years in Telecom and have an education that includes a diploma in electronics/telecommunications. My personal opinion is if you're dismissing equipment because of some lab tests that is ridiculous.

Neutron

Now, what I really want to see tested is the Sony DMP-Z1:
View attachment 22714

$ony now actually has a different user base these days, and I can see it getting better in terms of finances. I have seen a Walkman user who bought all 8 colors of the same player... unfortunately cannot find his post.

Qualia was their epic failure.

ousi

I literally signed up to this forum solely for the purpose of responding to your post. I can't believe what I am reading here...

First off, welcome to the forum!
About the HAP-S1, I actually have it since 2015 (minus 2 months where I sold the silver one and got a black one); and I also have the HAP-Z1ES. The Z1ES is a staple in my main audio system, while the S1 was used in my bedroom system. I chose them because of the user interface and how it can be operated without a phone, and immune to network jitter.

Anyway, back to my opinion. I didn't use the S1 much because it sounds muddy and doesn't present much detail information, and the onboard amp was just a "feature" not really a selling point. Very obvious when compared to its bigger brother HAP-Z1ES.

Then FW updated and supports external DAC and I started using it more because it's has a good user interface. Then I stumble upon this test and shared my opinion as somehow it echoed my experience. You can try with an external DAC that is "tested well" here or any DAC that you like. I ran this with Benchmark DAC2 and am very happy with the result. The amps I used is too long to list, but it does include Yamaha A-S2100 and the A-S2000, plus the Sony TA-A1ES.

The measurement is a point of reference of how "accurate" it sounds for those particular parameters. Of course, at the end you should trust your ears because this is about enjoyment not studio production which needs absolute neutral sound. IMO, for sources (DAC for example) I always look for the ones that sounds the most accurate with the least noise, because if the source doesn't present the information, no matter how good your downstream equipment is the information won't be there. It's just my 2 cents.

catcay1

As a new member just ran across this article. Fascinated by the expertise and findings of the author. I happen to be an owner of the Sony Hap S-1. After reading, wondering if anyone out there has a recommendation for a superior replacement, or where to find that information. I run mine with an outside power source (vintage NAD amplifier). Ok thanks,

catcay1

Stumbled across this detailed review after purchasing the S1. Disappointed, to say the least. Was wondering if there are published reviews of the Z1 ES out there. Or any advice or insight on a better performing storage/playback system. My original goal was to transfer my CD collection for playback at a reasonably high quality sound. OK thanks,

Top Bottom