• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

tsine

So.... that's a 'no'?
Here where I am take a measurment mic and calculate the acoustics of the room is difficult .
In my previous post i only can compared side by side 2 different dacs for now.

Also you say to measure the room with a specific mic like the minidsp one ?
Adn lets say i measure the room what sould be the next step , if the measurment are way off

Also here the road outside of the house is very noise so any measurments will be affected by the outside noise .
As you realise is not the ideal sounding enviroment .
That exacly why I am concered about vocals subjectivly using my ears only.

And that is why I use side by side the 2 dacs to see why there is a so much difference in my enviroment with all the above i described

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Like I said above, in-room measurements might not be the best tool for the job. I'm a novice in that area myself. But if something is going on that actually makes vocals "inaudable" in some cases (as you say), it should be rather pronounced in one kind of measurement or another.

My main point: Investigate some more before you try to fix anything.

There really shouldn't be any audible difference between those two DACs.

tsine

Like I said above, in-room measurements might not be the best tool for the job. I'm a novice in that area myself. But if something is going on that actually makes vocals "inaudable" in some cases (as you say), it should be rather pronounced in one kind of measurement or another.

My main point: Investigate some more before you try to fix anything.

There really shouldn't be any audible difference between those two DACs.

Someone would think is a defective units d50s .

But i experienced the same with my friend d50s . I tried with bluetooth via my mobile phone and throuth optical from my android tv box and finaly with usb over my laptop . Same to all the three . Also i tried using a power bank to supply the d50s for better dc no change .

Something else I was thinking was incompatibility with the denon amplifier . But this does not explain the luck in vocals on my monitor speakers.
Last maybe the dac is not a good pair with the speakers i have (the Eris and T50) .

Maybe someone more expierenced in the audio electronics subject would clear thinks up

P.S The term inaudible it was an excess . I would like to say that vocals in rock hard rock songs are not as loud as other organs (guitars , piano , drums ) compared to dac magic 100 where the vocals are in the same loudness as the other organs in the song .
Listening the same songs.

Last edited:

tsine

i found this reviewer that says what i am discribing about the topping d50s dac

It says in this implementations some midrange will be lost forever

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i found this reviewer that says what i am discribing about the topping d50s dac

It says in this implementations some midrange will be lost forever

In the other hand jazz music songs with vocals and pop songs are 100% legit and great sounding .
If some midrange is "lost" surely it would be lost across all forms of music.

With the D50s, what you're hearing is what was recorded. If there are things that you don't like then you can equalise, you can room correct or you can change speakers/headphones. The choice is yours.

The D50s does its job. It's not losing anybody's midrange, not AC/DC's, not Queen's and not even Eric Clapton's!

tsine

If the problem was speakers ..why dac magic 100 was sounding ok . Maybe the dac magic 100 was colouring the sound so I liked it more ...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
hahah i don't get your reaction ...xaxa

Because using a YouTube review as a data point is like asking your cat or dog for financial advice.

He is just regurgitating all of the popular nonsense he's heard about ESS chips.

Two tell signs that his "advice" is useless:

1. He talks about DACs having tailored frequency responses, when in fact DACs with a non- ruler flat response is a rarity.
2. He talks about DAC chips being placed in DIP8 sockets, meaning that he's confusing them for op-amps. Effectively jumbling all of his pointless anxieties regarding "everything matters" into one huge mess.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Maybe the dac magic 100 was colouring the sound so I liked it more ...

I hate to bring it up, because it's the ASR theme song that nobody wants to hear, but: It could just be all in your head?

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
What about my Denon 520ae amplifier ??

I don't follow o_O What about it?

Would you recommend any amplifier to upgrade to ?

No. I don't see what your amp has do with any of this.

All I tried to say in the previous post was that if you listen to the two DACs volume matched, there's a good chance the differences will disappear.

tsine

I don't follow o_O What about it?

No. I don't see what your amp has do with any of this.

All I tried to say in the previous post was that if you listen to the two DACs volume matched, there's a good chance the differences will disappear.
I asked if the amplifier would improve the sound generally. Also if my amplifier is a good one from your expirience .
Nothing to do with the dac.

As for the dac i will try to play them volume mached . I don't know how to achieve volume match if d50s dac at 0db has less output that the dac magic 100 . Maybe adjusting the amplifier , but is this accurate ?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I asked if the amplifier would improve the sound generally. Also if my amplifier is a good one from your expirience .

As for the dac i will try to play them volume mached . I don't know how to achieve volume match if d50s dac at 0db has less output that the dac magic 100 . Maybe adjusting the amplifier , but is this accurate ?
I really wouldn't worry about the DAC. If you don't like it then return it. Accurate testing would not only require level matching, but also double-blind testing.

The question about the amp isn't really relevant to this thread. You can start your own thread or find an existing thread that covers your question.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Ahh okay, it was because you quoted me that I got confused.

I have no idea how good your amp is. I like Denon as a brand, but that tells you absolutely nothing about your specific amp.

If you like the amp and it doesn't give you any obvious problems (like being underpowered), I'll say don't worry about it.

This discussion probably belongs in another thread ;)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/level-matching-for-dbt.17082/

Top Bottom