• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 versus Studio 2?

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I've been watching a set of Studio 2s on the local Craigs list that have been for sale off and on for the past several months. The price has been slowly dropping from $9k to now $7K. I love the Revel sound, have a set of M106es in my living room system and recently got a C208 for my 'theater' system. Mains there are NHT 3.3 and the blending of the C208 with them ain't the greatest. So I'm thinking about F208s to replace the NHTs, something under $5K delivered from Crutchfield. They'd also be walnut, as my C208, the Studios are black.

Would really appreciate any input from folks who may have experienced both these. Are the Studio 2s worth an extra $2K over the F208s? Would the Studios blend with the C208 as well as the F208?

jonfitch

The Ultima2s have less "air" than the Performa3 due to narrower dispersion in the high frequency range (above 7-8K or so). They look a lot more unique though, I think you are mainly paying for the cabinet here.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Ultima2s have less "air" than the Performa3 due to narrower dispersion in the high frequency range (above 7-8K or so). They look a lot more unique though, I think you are mainly paying for the cabinet here.
You should ask Kal Rubinson, he had the Studio 2 for years and I think that he reviewed the F208 for Stereophile, but it may have been another reviewer. He sold his pair for $6k in excellent condition. Replacement parts & repairs for the Studios should be a consideration, since they've long been discontinued. Since the Studios are undoubtedly used, you should compare the used price for the F208 as well, around $2500-$3k for a fair comparison. Good luck.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New F208s have been on clearance pricing at places like Crutchfield.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New F208s have been on clearance pricing at places like Crutchfield.
Really? I check pretty regularly and other than scratch and dent or open box, I haven't seen clearance prices. How low did you see them selling for?

1681845272550.jpeg

OP
middlemarch

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I saw that Kal had compared them with 228Bes and preferred the Studio, but it was very close, haven't run across any direct comparison by him (or anyone else) with the 208. Did notice he sold them for $3K a piece, the local guy has a way to go I think. At 5K this would be a much tougher calI. I really have not seen any 208s for sale used, but haven't looked very long.

Under the assumption the 208s have the benefit of another decade or so of technology advancement I was basically wondering if that might have trickled down to the lower lines. From the comment about the high frequency performance it sounds like it has.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I saw that Kal had compared them with 228Bes and preferred the Studio, but it was very close, haven't run across any direct comparison by him (or anyone else) with the 208. Did notice he sold them for $3K a piece, the local guy has a way to go I think. At 5K this would be a much tougher calI. I really have not seen any 208s for sale used, but haven't looked very long.

Under the assumption the 208s have the benefit of another decade or so of technology advancement I was basically wondering if that might have trickled down to the lower lines. From the comment about the high frequency performance it sounds like it has.
I love my F206, and am very dubious of the price for performance benefits of moving up to the "Be" models. Sure, they offer extra finishes, and you get to say you have Beryllium tweeters, but it wasn't worth the cheddar to me.

Lsc

I heard the studio2 and F208 (I owned them for 7 years) side by side at a dealer before I bought the F208. The studio2 is better but the F208 will obviously match the C208 better. The F208 looks nice too as it’s just as tall as the studio2.

jwdevos

I heard the studio2 and F208 (I owned them for 7 years) side by side at a dealer before I bought the F208. The studio2 is better but the F208 will obviously match the C208 better. The F208 looks nice too as it’s just as tall as the studio2.

@Lsc why did you go for the F208 if you found the Studio2 better? Is it a cost consideration or do you have a multi-channel situation where you have to match them too?

@middlemarch What did you end up deciding? I am in the same boat. I live in Europe, Revel distribution doesn't seem superb over here. I can buy a used pair of Studio2 for 7000 euro, or a new pair of F208 for 5000 euro. They'll probably ship, but I'll probably make a road trip to Slovenia from the Netherlands if I go for the F208 (can't find them closer). The cost of that would bring them up to the price of the used Studio2.

I have a concern about reliability of a used pair of speakers for this amount of money. The used Studio2 are sold via a Revel dealer who tells me they can be repaired if necessary. This alleviates my concern for the most part but noy fully.

I think the Studio2 might integrate into my room better, with the roundover on the baffle around the drivers, and the bass reflex port aimed downward.

Revel availability is a bit of a mystery to me. Their website lists a whole bunch of models. My local dealer tells me only the BE line is in production and actively being sold by Revel. I can still find some distribution and prices for the other models though, but not a lot, so maybe there's truth in the statement of the local dealer.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. A good condition used pair of Studio2 seems to be rare in my location. So this could be a one time chance. I have to get really creative to find the funds and not miss the boat. They could complete my system for a very long time, but I don't want to rush the decision either.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I have a concern about reliability of a used pair of speakers for this amount of money. The used Studio2 are sold via a Revel dealer who tells me they can be repaired if necessary. This alleviates my concern for the most part but noy fully.

Revel availability is a bit of a mystery to me. Their website lists a whole bunch of models. My local dealer tells me only the BE line is in production and actively being sold by Revel. I can still find some distribution and prices for the other models though, but not a lot, so maybe there's truth in the statement of the local dealer.
Unless they were clearly abused, Revel speakers are built to last a lifetime. If something does go sideways, Harman international does a great job of making parts available.

OP
middlemarch

middlemarch

Forum Donor
@Lsc why did you go for the F208 if you found the Studio2 better? Is it a cost consideration or do you have a multi-channel situation where you have to match them too?

@middlemarch What did you end up deciding? I am in the same boat. I live in Europe, Revel distribution doesn't seem superb over here. I can buy a used pair of Studio2 for 7000 euro, or a new pair of F208 for 5000 euro. They'll probably ship, but I'll probably make a road trip to Slovenia from the Netherlands if I go for the F208 (can't find them closer). The cost of that would bring them up to the price of the used Studio2.

I think the Studio2 might integrate into my room better, with the roundover on the baffle around the drivers, and the bass reflex port aimed downward.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. A good condition used pair of Studio2 seems to be rare in my location. So this could be a one time chance. I have to get really creative to find the funds and not miss the boat. They could complete my system for a very long time, but I don't want to rush the decision either.
Hello, sounds just like what I went through.

I ended up with the Studios after my offer of 6000 was accepted. As it happens, my best friend ended up with a set of F208s just a few months later, so I have been able to listen to both. Unfortunately he lives 800 miles away, so not at the same time or in the same place. So I can't compare other than to say they both sound fantastic and will not disappoint. The Studios are definitely more attractive and better built, but the F208s are not much inferior in that regard.

I use them in a combined home theater/music capacity and have a C208 center channel and a set of Gem2s as side surrounds. The C208 blends in perfectly to my (less than perfect 69 year old) ears. No interest in upgrading the center unless someone gave it to me.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned with reliability, the Studios should be easily good for 20 to 30 years more. Just make sure you check the tweeters that no small person has decided to poke at them. They want $950 for replacements.

When I bought mine I could not find comparable sales information to determine a fair price. All I had to go on was Kal Rubinson sold his for $6000, less than a year earlier in New York. So I offered 6000 and it was accepted right away (asking was 7000). I would suggest you try the same, as there are now two comparable sales for 6000, one in Seattle as well. It seems that would tip the balance in favor of the Studios for you.

So why did I choose the Studios? Reputation, similarity to the Salon 2, fear-of-missing-out syndrome, and end game, given my age. I'm happy to say I haven't regretted getting them.

All het beste. (Born in Friesland, myself).

Lsc

Yes the main thing was cost. It was $5000 vs $16000.

I did buy the C208 back then as well. Now I have the salon2 and voice2. If cost was not a factor then no doubt I would have bought the studio2. It looks way better and sounds better too.

analogonly

Devil's advocate here. Loved original Salon and F208. Didn't like Studio--and thought they needed much more current.

MarcT

Forum Donor
I may be wrong, but I thought I read that both the Studio2 and Salon2 would have deeper and more powerful bass extension than F208, which might be factor for two-channel audio purposes. Is this not correct? I've always wanted a set of Studio 2.

Lsc

I may be wrong, but I thought I read that both the Studio2 and Salon2 would have deeper and more powerful bass extension than F208, which might be factor for two-channel audio purposes. Is this not correct? I've always wanted a set of Studio 2.
That’s exactly right. The F208 is not as good as the studio2 which makes logical sense. Studio2 is much more substantial….yes the F208 is as tall as the studio2 but the studio2 is deeper and has similar 2 1/2” sculpted baffle as the salons etc etc.

When I bought the F208 I thought the studio2 was a little better. Then when I went back with my buddy, the studio2 seemed even better (different room). I almost bought one of the last studio2 in stock but found a salon2 just as I was ready to pull the trigger. I would have been happy either way.

jonfitch

Devil's advocate here. Loved original Salon and F208. Didn't like Studio--and thought they needed much more current.

That rear firing tweeter design is pretty interesting. But I'd be always worried about having one more side of the speakers being vulnerable to damage.

OP
middlemarch

middlemarch

Forum Donor
That rear firing tweeter design is pretty interesting. But I'd be always worried about having one more side of the speakers being vulnerable to damage.
I think some confusion may have intruded into the thread between the original Studio and the Studio 2. No rear tweeter on the Studio 2. Sounds like analogonly may also have been referring to the original Ultima series?

OP
middlemarch

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Just to add a bit, mine are positioned for imaging, etc., in a bad spot in my room for bass. I've crossed them over to my three subs at either 80 or 90 Hz since I've had them, so can't really speak to their bass performance. I have heard the bass performance of the F208 at my buddies place, and they are serious performers, I mean Prodigious. Nothing missing there. As far as current requirements, assuming that comment was about the Studio 2s and not the old Studios, I drive them with an x6700 and wouldn't attempt to go beyond 0dB on it with them, which still leaves some 18dB on the table. But that's crossed at 80Hz so doesn't really count, I suppose.

Top Bottom