• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Request for a new forum - Books!

Eidie

I’m an avid reader and I’m sure I’m not the only one here. I’m always on the lookout for suggestions. So...

How about adding a new forum - books!

I’m thinking sub forums for different genres, maybe one for technical reference, another for sci-fi/speculative fiction etc., etc.

Obviously this could get out of hand with many subthreads so general genres would be the way to go.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on this idea!

BTW I’m currently reading Nicole Galland’s “Master of the revels”, the sequel to her and Neal Stephenson’s “The rise and fall of D.O.D.O”. The later is recommended, to early to say of the former.

Cheers

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent idea. I just finished two non-fictions - "Say Nothing", about the 20-yrs-later fallout from the Northern Ireland situation, and "Empire of Pain", about the Sackler family's Oxycontin business. Both were perceptive and comprehensive. I bought both for the subject matter, and didn't realize until later they're by the same writer - Patrick Radden Keefe. Next up, back to thriller fiction - someone recommended Flynn Berry, so I'm going to try her.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Excellent idea. I just finished two non-fictions - "Say Nothing", about the 20-yrs-later fallout from the Northern Ireland situation, and "Empire of Pain", about the Sackler family's Oxycontin business. Both were perceptive and comprehensive. I bought both for the subject matter, and didn't realize until later they're by the same writer - Patrick Radden Keefe. Next up, back to thriller fiction - someone recommended Flynn Berry, so I'm going to try her.
Thanks Inner Space!

“Empire of pain” has been on my WLTR (Would Like To Read) list. I’m going to bump it up!

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent idea. I make books so glad to hear people still read!

Currently finishing up a new edition of The Wind in the Willows, E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops is up next along with a new translation of a short Kafka story The Hunter Gracchus.

I read them too.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Currently finishing up a new edition of The Wind in the Willows, E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops is up next along with a new translation of a short Kafka story The Hunter Gracchus.

I read them too.
We certainly do! I like nothing better than listening to some tunes whilst devouring a book!

I’d not heard of the Kafka. I read “The trial” and “Metamorphosis” many years ago. The former remains so relevant today.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last year I produced a new translation of Kafka's In the Penal Colony. It was nice to take a break with the current fun book after editing and obsessing over Franz's craziness for a couple years.

I'm envious, I can't listen to music and read unless it's classical. Once words start conflicting between my ears and the page I get lost LOL.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Last year I produced a new translation of Kafka's In the Penal Colony. It was nice to take a break with the current fun book after editing and obsessing over Franz's craziness for a couple years.

I'm envious, I can't listen to music and read unless it's classical. Once words start conflicting between my ears and the page I get lost LOL.
Actually I’m the same. Instrumental electronica, jazz and classical and a good book. Oh yeah!

fredstuhl

Just finished „the right stuff“ by Tom Wolfe. Fantastic book, incredibly well written and it gives a very interesting view on the space race from the perspective of the young test pilots.

fredstuhl

I can imagine few things better than reading an exciting book with a glass of single malt while listening to the Goldberg Variations, though!

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Just finished „the right stuff“ by Tom Wolfe. Fantastic book, incredibly well written and it gives a very interesting view on the space race from the perspective of the young test pilots.

For something completely different try his "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test". It's about a different kind of spacemen.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

For something completely different try his "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test". It's about a different kind of spacemen.
I can attest to that! Oh the jolly japes of the merry pranksters!
And as a companion “LSD and the American dream” by Jay Stevens. A fascinating history of the influence of LSD on the counter culture movement.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Sorry. Just to bump it up. I’m keen.

kyle_neuron

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps split into ‘general books’ and ‘audio nerd books’ sections?

I read them too.

The Machine Stops has been one of my favourites since I was a boy. Check out the BBC radio dramatisation of it too. It’s on YouTube and is very well acted.

This is my current squeeze. I’ve actually been carrying it around with me, because I am apparently a massive masochist.

44B68525-6D73-403C-BB3B-D0BF0095AE75.jpeg

On the fiction front I recently finished up Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, which I really enjoyed.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I think this is a great idea. Perhaps split into ‘general books’ and ‘audio nerd books’ sections?

The Machine Stops has been one of my favourites since I was a boy. Check out the BBC radio dramatisation of it too. It’s on YouTube and is very well acted.

This is my current squeeze. I’ve actually been carrying it around with me, because I am apparently a massive masochist.

View attachment 141211
On the fiction front I recently finished up Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, which I really enjoyed.

View attachment 141211
Thanks Kyle,

There is lots of room for nuance. Hopefully all suggestions will be taken on board.

“Pachinko” is on my list. Just got bumped up. Thank you.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just started 'Project Hail Mary' by the author of The Martian so far it's pretty good Scifi if anyone here is into this sort of stuff.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I just started 'Project Hail Mary' by the author of The Martian so far it's pretty good Scifi if anyone here is into this sort of stuff.
Certainly am! This is exactly why I’d like to see a dedicated forum for books. Recommendation to take one out of one’s comfort zones. Thank you for yours.
In return “Snow crash”, Neal Stephenson.

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I happily add my support to this request!
I'm currently re-reading the first volume of Dirk Bogarde's memoir: "A postillion struck by lightning", Belloc's "On something", and Canetti's "Masse und Macht". I'm reading for the first time Galsworthy's "on Forsyte 'Change", Liu Cixin's "three body problem", and Marylinn (sp?) Robinson's "Gilead". I read and enjoyed greatly "project hail Mary" just last week!
As for reading and listening to music at the same time; I find I can marry the two well if either I know well the music, or if it is very formal (baroque, for example), but otherwise, for me at least, one interrupts the other.
However, I always *want* to do it; not to save time,but because the idea always seems so appealing in my mind, as if I were a (talentless) sommelier matching just the right wine to a meal. Failure never dissuades me, however.

dc655321

Major Contributor
For fans of William Gibson (Neuromancer et al), The Peripheral is absolutely fantastic reading.
I also highly recommend The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. These were some of the most imaginatively original sci-fi stories I have ever read.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes was a fascinating read for me.

Physics, physicists, experiments, history, manufacturing, testing, politics, all in only 800 pages or so.

Top Bottom