• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Request for a new forum - Books!

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Out of curiosity, does it cover the thermonuclear era? Or is it mostly the Manhattan Project (which always conjures an image in my head of Feynman cracking safes while playing bongos, even though it's probably largely apocryphal and not in the best taste, given the consequences)? Thank you for the recommendation, either way (also for your many other posts, but I'm not yet well informed enough to comment on the audio reproduction ones)
“Dark sun” covers the H-bomb era. Physics and spies! What’s not to love?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For fans of William Gibson (Neuromancer et al), The Peripheral is absolutely fantastic reading.
I also highly recommend The Broken Earth trilogy by N. K. Jemisin. These were some of the most imaginatively original sci-fi stories I have ever read.
I sometimes find that I need to read a ways into Gibson's books in order to understand what's going on, because he loves dropping the reader into the middle of a situation, and it's not initially clear whether people, places or things are being discussed until he belatedly offers an explanation. Then there's the odd proclivity of his protagonists for dropping random non-sequiturs, but at least now I know what "liminal" and "coprophagia" mean.!

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Just Kids", the best book I've read by a rock 'n' roller

“Both of them were ahead of their time, but they didn't live long enough to see the time they were ahead of.”
― Patti Smith, Just Kids:

OIP.jpg

OP
Eidie

Eidie

I sometimes find that I need to read a ways into Gibson's books in order to understand what's going on, because he loves dropping the reader into the middle of a situation, and it's not initially clear whether people, places or things are being discussed until he belatedly offers an explanation. Then there's the odd proclivity of his protagonists for dropping random non-sequiturs, but at least now I know what "liminal" and "coprophagia" mean.!
What more reason do you need to read his books? Remaining liminal to coprophagia is, I suspect, always preferable!

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thankyou for this thread. Also a tragic, unapologetic, voracious reader. Stuffed up my eyes by continuing to read into the wee small hours by moonlight, standing up in bed near the window to read. So some 'sound' advice for some of our younger readers: do NOT read by moonlight no matter how good the book is o_O.
Onto the crux of the matter; A book which is definitely audio related: "The lost pianos of Siberia". A true but crazy story of pianos in the far distant recesses of a magnificent wilderness.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50616973-the-lost-pianos-of-siberia
siberia.jpg

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A nice list of "most influential" sci-fi books, being compiled with commentary by K. W. Colyard. I stopped reading fiction sometime during the 1980's, so the later part of the list is entirely unfamiliar to me. Of course, any such list is never definitive.

The Most Influential Sci-Fi Books of All Time by K. W. Colyard

Katji

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom