• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reducing DAC volume vs Turning down the amplifier volume pot

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 58865

Which one injects more noise to the speakers? I guess both inject roughly the same amount of noise to the speakers unless the amplifier volume pot injects more noise to the speakers as I turn it down.

My theory is that the noise introduced by the volume pot on an amp is supposed to stay roughly the same across all volume pot positions.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is the umpteenth thread you started on this subject. It is academic only unless you get an audible hiss when playing a DAC using a file with all 0's which goes away when stopping the file or switching off the DAC.

When this is not the case simply forget all the 'noise, SINAD and volume control' crap.
You might be battling windmills.
My theory is that the noise introduced by the volume pot on an amp is supposed to stay roughly the same across all volume pot positions.

Nice theory but is completely circuit dependent (input circuit of the following amp) and is all moot unless you have audible hiss at loud playing levels.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You don't need a new thread for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom